Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #1  

helvit

Delaware River woods of central NJ, and a little f
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
My 4-Runner is ready to trade in and my old JD garden tractor is getting fussy.

Tasks:
1) Put in and take out a boat/trailer, which weigh about a ton combined. The saltwater launch site is about a mile from my house, woodsy neighborhood, so nobody will complain about going less than 10 mph.

The site is unimproved, mixed sand and various stone. It changes with the storms. Some it is hard packed, sometimes some is soft and the 4Runner might leave part of the track squashed as much as 5" deep using a slow, steady pull.

The incline is about 10 degrees.

The trailer tongue weight is about 250 pounds. It was good that way on the highway, but I don't expect any long tows anymore, so there's flexibility in replacing the 4Runner.

2) Small acreage mowing: 2 acre part shade "lawn", not manicured-- naturalized to the sandy soil, cut no lower than 3.5", once a month; 1 acre of taller meadow grasses, 1 acre a couple of times a year in cleared areas of the woods.

3) 3 acres of woods maintenance and cleanup. Most of that is rough. Maneuverabily in there would be good.

4) Fill some areas, distribute stone and wood chips, snow removal (southeast Massachusetts)

That's what comes to mind right now. I'm thinking about a BX2360 with MMM and FEL. Tires? Suggestions? Will that tractor pull the boat out? Will I need to haul rocks down there in the loader, weight the tires????

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #2  
My 4-Runner is ready to trade in and my old JD garden tractor is getting fussy.

Tasks:
1) Put in and take out a boat/trailer, which weigh about a ton combined. The saltwater launch site is about a mile from my house, woodsy neighborhood, so nobody will complain about going less than 10 mph.

The site is unimproved, mixed sand and various stone. It changes with the storms. Some it is hard packed, sometimes some is soft and the 4Runner might leave part of the track squashed as much as 5" deep using a slow, steady pull.

The incline is about 10 degrees.

The trailer tongue weight is about 250 pounds. It was good that way on the highway, but I don't expect any long tows anymore, so there's flexibility in replacing the 4Runner.

2) Small acreage mowing: 2 acre part shade "lawn", not manicured-- naturalized to the sandy soil, cut no lower than 3.5", once a month; 1 acre of taller meadow grasses, 1 acre a couple of times a year in cleared areas of the woods.

3) 3 acres of woods maintenance and cleanup. Most of that is rough. Maneuverabily in there would be good.

4) Fill some areas, distribute stone and wood chips, snow removal (southeast Massachusetts)

That's what comes to mind right now. I'm thinking about a BX2360 with MMM and FEL. Tires? Suggestions? Will that tractor pull the boat out? Will I need to haul rocks down there in the loader, weight the tires????

Unlikely;
In fact I think there was a similar thread about a year ago showing pics of a mini tractor (& faux back hoe) that the owner was trying to retrieve a boat with.
It takes a LOT to haul a trailered boat up a deep sand incline.

How about a winch on the front of the 4 runner ?
Use a big ole danforth anchor in the sand if there are no convenient trees within cable reach.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope
Thanks Reg. I read the first three pages of that previous thread... one big difference is that the weight of the boat and trailer there was more than double what I have to do. The 4Runner has done this pull many times, no problem. But it weighs twice what the load is, and three times what the Kubota would be.
That older thread had a BX24 pulling a 4500 pound boat plus the trailer, hauling it out backwards up the incline, hooked to his loader. No traction. No surprise. I don't think it's a matter of power. I think it's traction in my case too.. weight, tires, maybe ballast distribution, assuming the transmission can handle it. My next door neighbor has a B3030 and we could test with that... but it seems like apples to oranges. No local dealer for a test, either. That's another issue.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #4  
Helvit,

A couple of thoughts for you to ponder. You might consider a three point hitch mounted finishing mower. Easy to connect and to get out of way when boat hauling. Doesn't sound like you are too concerned about fine edging. I have Industrial tires. They have good traction when needed but don't do damage to lawn while mowing unless you are very aggressive. Hope this helps. Enjoy you 'bota.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #5  
I have a Kioti 25CK,live on the Atlantic Ocean, Have the oportunity to haul a 50 foot cape islander out of the water,weight is well over 10 ton,with a few pullys and a bit of luck :) pulled it 50 feet above the high water mark. We landed it on a trailor ...of sorts. I towed it up the road 3 miles in 3rd gear high range and backed it in a boat shop. The key is traction or if no traction; a winch,or a block and tackle.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #6  
My experience on towing a 2400 lb boat (not including trailer weight) with an 1830 is that flat terrein is fine. Going down a slight grade made the boat want to push the tractor. Because of the super-short wheelbase, this wasn't fun. I didn't try backing the trailer down the grade.

You may be ok, but if you need to stop suddenly, you'll be in trouble.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #7  
That SHOULDN'T be a problem.
Most boat trailers in that size have surge brakes, so ASSUMING those actually WORK they should work before the boat and trailer shove the tractor off the road - even a small tractorette.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #8  
Thanks Reg. I read the first three pages of that previous thread... one big difference is that the weight of the boat and trailer there was more than double what I have to do. The 4Runner has done this pull many times, no problem. But it weighs twice what the load is, and three times what the Kubota would be.
That older thread had a BX24 pulling a 4500 pound boat plus the trailer, hauling it out backwards up the incline, hooked to his loader. No traction. No surprise. I don't think it's a matter of power. I think it's traction in my case too.. weight, tires, maybe ballast distribution, assuming the transmission can handle it. My next door neighbor has a B3030 and we could test with that... but it seems like apples to oranges. No local dealer for a test, either. That's another issue.

Helvit:

Try the 3030 and then pm me. I have a 3030 for sale that will inclued a rear finish mower, brush hog, mmm and la403 loader.

Swmpbgy1

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #9  
I have pulled my car trailer with my BX and it weighs a little bit more than 2000lbs. I don't know what the end of my driveway is, but I'd guess be between 6% and 10%. It will haul it up that grade easily. As others have said, traction will be the issue. Traction in sand is tricky, I know that tires that work in the mud will not work in the sand as well. Turfs might actually be the best, but I'm not sure. The BX will work well for your other tasks, but you almost need to try it out with the boat to make sure.

/ Tow 1.5 tons up a 10 degree deep sand slope #10  
That SHOULDN'T be a problem.
Most boat trailers in that size have surge brakes, so ASSUMING those actually WORK they should work before the boat and trailer shove the tractor off the road - even a small tractorette.

I was going to mention something about surge brakes. But - many of the boat trailers I see which don't regularly see highway speeds, don't have functioning brakes (like mine).

He will probably be fine, but he just needs to remember to be extra careful towing down hill, tractor first (as opposed to backing down trailer first, which should be fine given enough traction).