B2920 3PT Pin Problem

/ B2920 3PT Pin Problem #1  

jambx

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB, ZD21-60P, 1949 US Baird Beaver
Hi all,

I have had issues with the 3pt pin that holds the 3pt hitch pieces together (this runs through the Draw Bar) since day one. Although a 3pt hitch is not rocket science I think the manual does a horrible job describing on how to put on and take off the 3pt hitch.

When I went to put on the three pt hitch fro the first time I found that this pin would not slide from side to side in the drawbar hitch to allow me to place the lower link end and check chains onto the pin (yes I loosended the lock down nut). I had to wedge a crow bar between the tractor frame and the end of the pin in order to move it to one side for enough clearance so I could clear the end of the lower link and Check Chains.

Yesterday I took of the rear tire and forced out the pin to see if any burrs were present on the pin - none were found.

When i went to slide the pin though the assemble the end of the pin would not aligh through the last hole (see pics). I can RAM it home with a rubber hammer but I am quite sure this is not what Kubota had in mind.

I was shocked to see how tight the clearnances were in this area. From what I was told this pin is suppose to slide easily from side to side so one can slip the lower links on. This is not the case with mine.

Has anyone experianced this?

Attachments

• 0620092109.jpg
    0620092109.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 0620092110.jpg
    0620092110.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 118
  • 0620092111.jpg
    0620092111.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 129
   / B2920 3PT Pin Problem #2  
jambx,
I had my BH off once for a 3pt implement and yes I was surprised at the tight tolerances. I put a screwdriver in the hitch pin hole and wiggled it back and forth and hit the screwdriver shaft with a rubber mallet to get it to finally move enough first one way and then the other for each lower link. I sprayed some DW-40 and it did seem a little looser when I went to take 3pt assembly off after initial use. I expect it to go a little better next time.

Thankfully, I did have a better experience with it than what you described and mine was frustrating enough. I do think Kubota could have done a little better with the design. I would have preferred a design where 3pt assembly just folds up behind BH or at least something besides the sliding rod idea?

I think I read that the 3200 is different or even more difficult? Any 3200 owners with BH care to chime in on their 3pt. install process for comparison?
TP

/ B2920 3PT Pin Problem #3  
I had the same problem. You need to remove the rod and remove the paint that's in the holes. I used a round metal file for this. I also slightly enlarged the hole that the rod was catching on. After some WD-40 and silicone spray, the rod will move back and forth quite easily in order to mount the 3 point hitch.

/ B2920 3PT Pin Problem
Thanks guys,

I will work on it a bit more.

What I find disconcerting is we are talking about Kubotas and this type of issue (be it a minor one) should have been resolved long ago. As a whole I am very happy with Kubota however when I look back at my BX22 I had ZERO issues big or small - all I did was change the oil and filters (ok a air bracket or two :p) now with the B2920 I have experianced vibration and rattling when the tractor is under load, the 3pt pin now needs re-work, one of the rear wheel studs back out of the hub when I removed a lug to get the rear tire off, the BH stabilizer up / down controls make a racket vibrating loudly when the tractor is running (even at idle). :confused:

Do not get me wrong I love my B however the 2X20 series have been out for sometime now - you would think the small stuff would have been addressed by now no? :mad: ......then again with the B being built in Japan and my old BX in USA - could this be a indication that the build quality in the US is not only similar but possibly better?! :)

/ B2920 3PT Pin Problem #5  
jambx you touched on a rattle issue I noticed and think will be an easy fix...that is the BH shroud, mine rattles just the way you described. I can reach back and grab it while driving and then it's quiet. I figured when I have the time it should be an easy fix with either rubber washers, tightening some nuts or something else to isolate the shroud from vibration. But I do agree with you, I really like the tractor but it seems some of these issues, at these price points, should have been noticed and worked out at least early in production.
TP