hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
Last fall I notice when my tractor was parked not running I could not turn the wheels when standing still in the garage.
Over the past months using the tractor I notice more and more the steering would make a fluid bypassing noise while turning hard/fast right or left.
Yesterday with a full bucket of loam I could not turn the wheels at all while standing still running at full rpm's.
Is my steering starting to go? I wonder if anyone else notice this happening.
I have 385 hrs on it and no fluid leaks.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #2  
Check your front tire pressure. I know when mine are low it becomes hard to steer.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #3  
I have never tried turning the wheels with the tractor not running so can't comment on that.
I do notice that sometimes the steering balks when turning the wheel at low speeds or standing still. I just ease off and go again and it has always worked. Since the steering is "hydrostatic" I suspect it is like the drive, if you push the pedal to hard/fast it will bypass, if you then ease off a bit it will pick up the load and go. A bucket full of loam shouldn't put too much weight on the front wheels though.
My tractor only has 47 hours on it.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #4  
Last fall I notice when my tractor was parked not running I could not turn the wheels when standing still in the garage.
Over the past months using the tractor I notice more and more the steering would make a fluid bypassing noise while turning hard/fast right or left.
Yesterday with a full bucket of loam I could not turn the wheels at all while standing still running at full rpm's.
Is my steering starting to go? I wonder if anyone else notice this happening.
I have 385 hrs on it and no fluid leaks.

You're using the wrong wax :D

Is the steering wheel refusing to turn or freewheeling? If the former, it's hydraulic supply problem. Dunno your tractor, on our leetle BX's any problem on the 3ph circuit affects steering. If the steering wheel turns free, it's just a leaking seal on the steering ram.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #5  
This time of year,I'm going into the woods to fetch lots of bucket loads of firewood with my boxblade on the back for additional ballast.I do get a squalling sound at times when turning but have not had the issue of not being able to turn the wheels with the engine off.Don't know if that helps?Good Luck.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #6  
The BX models have hydrostatic steering similar to the 30 series B's and after they accumilate enough hard hrs the steering acts just like has been discussed in this thread. The problem on the BX's is that the seals in the steering cylinder are worn down enough to allow fluid to bypass as opposed to acting on the ram(s). It starts out intermittently then progressively gets worse as the seals wear more.
The fix is to either rebuild or replace the steering cylinder. Kubota has a seal kit for the BX's and I'd say they also have one for the 30 series B's.
May be worth checking out.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030
The BX models have hydrostatic steering similar to the 30 series B's and after they accumilate enough hard hrs the steering acts just like has been discussed in this thread. The problem on the BX's is that the seals in the steering cylinder are worn down enough to allow fluid to bypass as opposed to acting on the ram(s). It starts out intermittently then progressively gets worse as the seals wear more.
The fix is to either rebuild or replace the steering cylinder. Kubota has a seal kit for the BX's and I'd say they also have one for the 30 series B's.
May be worth checking out.

Thank you I will look into that , it would be a lot easier then getting to the steering control unit.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #8  
I don't know if the B series are similar to the L series, but I just read a thread where the problem with slow power steering response (and jerky FEL operation) was the result of a crack in the suction hose of the hydraulic system. The tread I'm referring to is "Hydrostatic steering problem with L3030". Sorry, I don't know how to link the tread.

Hope this helps.

/ hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030 #9  
Correction on my previous post, the thread I was referring to is "L2800 HST power inop and lift arms slow"