Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe

Default hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030

Last fall I notice when my tractor was parked not running I could not turn the wheels when standing still in the garage.
    Over the past months using the tractor I notice more and more the steering would make a fluid bypassing noise while turning hard/fast right or left.
    Yesterday with a full bucket of loam I could not turn the wheels at all while standing still running at full rpm's.
    Is my steering starting to go? I wonder if anyone else notice this happening.
    I have 385 hrs on it and no fluid leaks.
    Quick Links to my other Modifications

Stack Inclinometer.FEL Indicator ICC Lights..Tilt Wheel ..
    Fel Knob Bucket Cam Double Step.Auto Level ... Snow Video

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Tractor
    05 Kubota L3130 HST, 09 Kubota BX1860, 07 Kubota RTV900

Default Re: hydrostatic steering problems kubota b3030

Check your front tire pressure. I know when mine are low it becomes hard to steer.
    05 Kubota L3130 HST w/R4's, Top and Tilt, LA723 w/QA Bucket, BH90 ((Sold)
    07 Kubota RTV900 w/Hyd. Dump, Windshield, and Metal Roof
    09 Kubota BX1860 w/AGs, LA203, 48" MMM, Gearmore 48" Box Scraper, Gearmore Middle Buster
    10 Kubota L45 QA 4 in 1 Bucket, Hydro Thumb, Top and Tilt, Gannon Forks, Gannon 4x2 72" Box Scraper w/Hyd. Rippers, Rhino PHD

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSTC

I have never tried turning the wheels with the tractor not running so can't comment on that.
    I do notice that sometimes the steering balks when turning the wheel at low speeds or standing still. I just ease off and go again and it has always worked. Since the steering is "hydrostatic" I suspect it is like the drive, if you push the pedal to hard/fast it will bypass, if you then ease off a bit it will pick up the load and go. A bucket full of loam shouldn't put too much weight on the front wheels though.
    My tractor only has 47 hours on it.
    Rod.
    B3030HSDC, LA403 FEL, B2782A front blower, B5320 ballast box, Landpride-BH, RFM, tiller, FM2060 flail, GS1572 grader/scraper, BX42 chipper, PTO generator, homebuilt splitter and 3pt carry all.

Tractor
    Kubota BX-23

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMan View Post
    Last fall I notice when my tractor was parked not running I could not turn the wheels when standing still in the garage.
    Over the past months using the tractor I notice more and more the steering would make a fluid bypassing noise while turning hard/fast right or left.
    Yesterday with a full bucket of loam I could not turn the wheels at all while standing still running at full rpm's.
    Is my steering starting to go? I wonder if anyone else notice this happening.
    I have 385 hrs on it and no fluid leaks.
    You're using the wrong wax

Is the steering wheel refusing to turn or freewheeling? If the former, it's hydraulic supply problem. Dunno your tractor, on our leetle BX's any problem on the 3ph circuit affects steering. If the steering wheel turns free, it's just a leaking seal on the steering ram.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

This time of year,I'm going into the woods to fetch lots of bucket loads of firewood with my boxblade on the back for additional ballast.I do get a squalling sound at times when turning but have not had the issue of not being able to turn the wheels with the engine off.Don't know if that helps?Good Luck.

Tractor
    2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856

The BX models have hydrostatic steering similar to the 30 series B's and after they accumilate enough hard hrs the steering acts just like has been discussed in this thread. The problem on the BX's is that the seals in the steering cylinder are worn down enough to allow fluid to bypass as opposed to acting on the ram(s). It starts out intermittently then progressively gets worse as the seals wear more.
    The fix is to either rebuild or replace the steering cylinder. kubota has a seal kit for the BX's and I'd say they also have one for the 30 series B's.
    May be worth checking out.
    BX23 w/60" MMM & thumb.
    1966 Wheelhorse 856, Gear drive.
    1966 Wheelhorse 876, HST drive.
    w/50"sickle mower, 36" RDM, snow/grader plow, Alternator welder.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post
    The BX models have hydrostatic steering similar to the 30 series B's and after they accumilate enough hard hrs the steering acts just like has been discussed in this thread. The problem on the BX's is that the seals in the steering cylinder are worn down enough to allow fluid to bypass as opposed to acting on the ram(s). It starts out intermittently then progressively gets worse as the seals wear more.
    The fix is to either rebuild or replace the steering cylinder. kubota has a seal kit for the BX's and I'd say they also have one for the 30 series B's.
    May be worth checking out.
    Thank you I will look into that , it would be a lot easier then getting to the steering control unit.
    Quick Links to my other Modifications

Stack Inclinometer.FEL Indicator ICC Lights..Tilt Wheel ..
    Fel Knob Bucket Cam Double Step.Auto Level ... Snow Video

WaxMan
    to preserve and protect

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L2600DT, F13D Yanmar, Sears garden tractor with MMM, older JD Garden Tractor with MMM, Gravely commercial ZTM

I don't know if the B series are similar to the L series, but I just read a thread where the problem with slow power steering response (and jerky FEL operation) was the result of a crack in the suction hose of the hydraulic system. The tread I'm referring to is "Hydrostatic steering problem with L3030". Sorry, I don't know how to link the tread.

Hope this helps.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L2600DT, F13D Yanmar, Sears garden tractor with MMM, older JD Garden Tractor with MMM, Gravely commercial ZTM

Correction on my previous post, the thread I was referring to is "L2800 HST power inop and lift arms slow"