Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #1  

JTPass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
Has anyone had any experience retrofitting a manual steering L2550 (1987 vintage) with power steering? Does anyone sell a kit?

I just bought a new B3200 and the lack of power steeing is hurting my chances of selling the L2550.

Thanks,
Jim in NH

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #2  
I've seen parts costs of around $500 to add power steering to the B7100( and B6100 ), several others here have done it. Search for "power steering b7100." If it wasn't a factory option on that model (or another L-series that is basically the same as the L2550, but with a different engine, etc) then I'm sure your L2550 would be a similar job.

In the later case, you might be able to just buy all the correct parts to change it over, but you might be surprised by the cost of doing do.

I was considering the conversion for my own B7100. I opted, as you apparently did, to buy another tractor that has power steering. Surprisingly, when the dust settled, the upgrade cost less than adding power steering to my B7100 would have. I did buy used, and waited along time for the right deal.

I think you just need the right buyer. Not every buyer cares about power steering -- or even thinks about it, until operating an FEL w/o it fir a while.

Also, a major modification like this may even scare off some buyers.

I, personally would rather buy one that came from the factory with power steering, than one with a custom power steering system (assuming that it can't be done with factory parts).

So, the short answer is, I would think that the difference in the price you can get might not be worth the cost and labor of the conversion. I would only see the conversion worth while if you wanted to keep the tractor.

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #3  
Has anyone had any experience retrofitting a manual steering L2550 (1987 vintage) with power steering? Does anyone sell a kit?

I just bought a new B3200 and the lack of power steeing is hurting my chances of selling the L2550.

Thanks,
Jim in NH

I hate to discourage anyone from a project, but I've been looking at power steering kits and retro-fits for years now. People do make the change to put power steering on a machine that doesn't have it. It isn't common, but can be done. But all the add-on types of power steering that I've seen take a pretty good mechanic and fabricator who is also about half hydraulic engineer. So it's not to say it can't be done.... and done well. But expect it to be a custom project.

Now if anyone knows different, please let me know. Over the years I solved the problem by buying tractors with OEM power steering, but I've still got one old tractor I'd love to put power steering on.....

It's the loader that's the problem. Manual steering works pretty well for 3-point ag type tractors until we put a loader on them start trying to drive around with a loader bucket full of dirt.
rScotty

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #4  
Surplus Center
4.7 cu in Steering Valve (Torque Generator)
item number: 9-7122
4.7 CU-IN TORQUE GENERATOR
Brand new, Char-Lynn model 217-1049 torque generator. Can be connected directly to steering shaft on manual steering systems for power assist to the steering linkage. Also use for manually operated gates, control valves, other situations requiring powerful rotary motion from low input. Made to be mounted with no axial or radial loads on either shaft, not made for use with a pinion gear or sprocket. Gerotor power element.

SPECIFICATIONS

4.7 Cu-in/rev. disp.
3 GPM recommended input flow
1,000 PSI max. pressure
125 RPM max. speed
550 in-lb. output torque @ 1,000 PSI
14-22 in-lb. input torque
SAE 6 ports
50 lb. max. output shaft side-load
7/8" dia. x 1-1/2" long, woodruff-keyed shafts w/ 5/16" dia. thru-hole in both
Three 5/16"-18 mounting holes on 2-1/2" B.C. on input end
Overall size 6-3/16" x 3-5/8" x 3-13/32"
Shpg. 10 lb.
Not cheap but this is what a lot of the old M's and such had added to them.

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #5  
Lou, thanks for bringing up the Char-Lynn unit. It's been around a long, long time. I can remember seeing them on old "M" series Interanationals way back when. It's certainly an option.

For anyone not familiar with these Char-Lynn type rotary torque amplifiers they represent the "other way" to get power steering. Most OEM power steering systems today are powered rotary- hydraulicallly inside the steering gearbox. Most cars and tractors use that method.
Another less common way is with a kit that somehow senses how much the operator wants to move the wheels and and responds by moving a hydraulic helper cylinder hooked to the drag link or tie rod between the steering box output and the front wheels. That second helper-cylinder type is the kind of aftermarket kit that we've been talking about.

But as Lou points out, there is another way to do it. A torque-amplifying rotary hydraulic engine like the venerable Char-Lynn can be used - as long as the steering box itself is robust enough - by increasing the twisting force of the steering column where it goes into the steering box. These rotary devices fit between the steering wheel and the steering box. Normal installation is to take about a foot out of the steering column somewhere below the steering wheel, insert the Char-Lynn, hook up its two hydraulic lines and you are done. Now anytime you try to turn the steering wheel, the Char-Lynn takes over and amplifies that force into the steering box. Some steering boxes can take the load and others can't. Most of these torque-amplifying in-line motors have an adjustable relief valve that controls how much force they will add to the system. All of this type do make the steering a bit "twitchy". But if your steering box can take the load and if the steering column can be modified to fit an extra foot of gizmo it's a fairly easy $1000 dollar solution.
rScotty

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #6  

Thanks,
Jim in NH
I didn't even know they offered this machine without power steering.

/ Looking for a Power Steering kit for older L2550DT w/ manual steering #7  
I used my old B7100 for years without power steering so I decided to save some $$ and get the L2550 without it also. I quickly discovered it was a big mistake. I looked into adding PS to the 2550 and quickly decided to trade it for an L3010. Since the 2550 was new, the dealer gave me a good trade in which, in the end, was actually cheaper than adding PS to the 2550 using factory parts.

If your 2550 is in decent shape, you might try going that route. Maybe your dealer has a good used PS model. Trying to sell a 2550 without PS could indeed be a problem.