B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #1  

gusg

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 with R4s
There are two items that might keep me from buying a B7500 and opt for the B2710. The first is position control. How important is this if you are going to be maintaning a 200' driveway and maybe using the blade to clear a rock covered driveway? The other question is the dealer mentioned that the rear housing on the B7500 is aluminum versus cast iron. Should I be worried about it? I would think that cast iron will be more durable.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #2  
Does the 2710 have a cast iron rear housing? I think this was discussed a while back, in general terms.

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear
That is what the dealer told me. He said that it is cast iron.

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #4  
Gusg, I don’t ever recall anyone having problems with the rear housing on the 7500 so that would not concern to me. Position control is nice to have, though not near as sensitive as many of us would like, but you can get by without for what you describe.

To me, the extra horsepower and loader lift capacity on the 2710 would be more important if I could afford it. Both are great tractors.

MarkV

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #5  
of course there is one more option... B2410. It is the same frame size as the B7500 but does have position control. And let me be the one to tell you. Position control is useful when you want to do jobs that require delicate or limited earth moving or grooming.

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #6  
This may be a crude comparison, but the position control is almost like the resume feature on and automotive cruise control; it allows you to return to a previously determined satisfactory position. I have a smaller Kubota without position control and a larger one with position control. When using the yard box I strongly prefer the position control when trying to smooth out dirt or gravel; when just dragging dirt (full down position), it doesn't matter which one I use.

When using a yard box or rear blade on a B7500 (without position control) you'll be fine on the first pass but when you lift the attachment for whatever reason you'll have to guess where the previous height was when re-positioning the attachment.

If you can afford the B2710, I would guess that there would be a 98% chance that you'd never regret the upgrade. In addition to the position control, you gain more horsepower and a 3-speed hydrostatic transmission.

THe B2410 also gives you position control but only a 2-speed hydro (like the B7500).

Kelvin

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #7  
My B7500 doesn't have position control - so what? All it does is return the implement to exactly the same height whenever you raise and lower it again. The same thing can be done by using chains or by eye. I'm pretty sure I can tell 3" from 4" when I'm 4' away. Besides, position control maintains the implement height in relation to the tractor, not the ground. So, if the front tires go up and over a bump, your implement is going down into the ground. Front tires go down, implement goes up. What I'm saying is that even with pos. control, I would see myself staring over my right shoulder and making constant adjustments - much like I do now - except for maybe the last 2 passes when everything has been brought close to level. And since there are only one or two passes left, is the pos. ctrl. really necessary?

I don't have it and it's not something I wish I had. For those that do have it and use it, they probably wouldn't get another machine without it.

One thing is for sure though, if I had the cash, there wouldn't be much sleep lost over trying to decide between a B7500 and a 2710.

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #8  
Regarding lack of position control, this is something you really can get used to. With my B7500 I have no problem created/keeping a nice, even grade with a rear blade or landscape rake (without guage wheels, I add). As was pointed out earlier, even once you lock onto the desired hitch height, if the surface you are driving over is not perfectly flat you'll need to constantly adjust the 3pt height anyway. All it takes is a little practice...

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #9  
I have a B7500DT and I wish I had postion control. I find myself doing the major digging with the box blade and then going back over the "sensitive" areas using the FEL.

I don't think the extra money for the B2410 with position control was justifiable for me, but I wish I had it sometimes.

/ B7500 Position Control and Aluminum rear #10  
I looked at the rear ends on the various tractors and could not see a lot of difference in material usage. There appear to be a combination of aluminum and cast iron parts used. I am not sure this is a issue with the 7500. It appears to have an excellent service record even with the backhoe attached.
Position control, once you got it you will not want to be without. Yes you can fiddle with the lift lever and crudely adjust height with the 7500 but on the 2410 and up the adjustable lock is moved to the desired position and the lever smoothly glides the implement into the desired position each time or drop the lock out of the way and you can again smoothly vary the implement height up or down in fine movements as required. Most people buying the 7500 probably don't need position control, I needed it cuz I use my boxblade a bunch and it is also useful for setting my spreader up or while using my rear blade. J