B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping?

/ B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping? #1  

tommyz270

Silver Member
Tractor
Still looking...
I have another thread on the pricing about this tractor, but wanted to expand on the power steering part.

Has anyone had a bota without power steering? It was kind of hard to turn in 4wd and with the bucket loaded, but I wonder if I lube the heck out of the parts that turn - if that would make a difference.

I have an OLD lawn mower - a beater... I recently lubed all of the parts that rub and touch for the steering and it is night and day different and now it's very easy to turn - wondering if something like that can be done on the B7400.

I'm thinking for $7,500, hst, 64hrs, 2004, fel, finishing mower on back, good condition and runs good it's worth not having power steering for about half the price of a new one...

Also, I think there is only one hydraulic pump on this tractor and on the new ones, they have 2 and even so, they new ones pump more fluid. B7400 = 3.9gpm, 2320 = 8.3gpm. Does anyone know if I can add the second pump onto the B7400?

/ B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping? #2  
I had a B7100, which doesn't have power steering. It is a pain with FEL work, but workable -- just make sure you are moving when turning the steering wheel. Still, with a bad shoulder, I started searching for a tractor with power steering, and just recently bought an '05 B7610, which is almost the same tractor as the B7410 that replaced the B7400. The B7610 has more HP (24), a stronger FEL (LA352), and POWER STEERING.

I paid $7500 for it with an LA352 FEL, a 5' rake, and a Woods PHD. It has 125 hours.

This was, of course, a very good deal that took months of looking to find (motivated seller).

Some of the others that I missed out, or passed on during that time:
'99 B2400 w/ 490 hrs, incl. back blade, and 14' trailer, $8,000
early 90's B2150 w/ 412 hrs, Bush Hog branded FEL, $6,299 (ebay -- missed the finish of the auction)
early 90's B1750 w/ 1640 FEL, 800 hrs, $5,300 (eBay)
'03 B7500, LA 301 FEL, MMM, 80 hrs, $8,500

$7,500 is a good price for that machine with only 62 hrs., but if you'll be doing lots of FEL work, you'd be best to hold our for power steering. Also, the B7500, B7510, and B7610 all have a bit more power, 21 hp (16 PTO) for the the B7500, B7510, and 24 hp (18 PTO) for the B7610.

The models that I was looking at (that are all similar size to the B7400 you are looking at) with power steering (engine HP/PTO HP in parens):
(early 90s) B1550 (17/15), B1750 (21/17), B2150 (24/19)
(late 90s) B1700 (17/13), B2100 (21/16), B2400 (24/18), B7500 (21/16)
(staring around 2000) B2410 (24/18), B7510 (21/16), B7610 (24/18)

Other info:
Starting with the late '90s, the B7xxx tractors and B2xxx series are almost the same tractor, with the B2xxx models being the deluxe version. The main difference is that the B2xxx tractors have position controler, and a little stronger rear lift, where the B7xxx models have the quater-inching valve. The B2xxx models are rated at 1600 lbs at the pins, and 1300 24" back. The B7xxx models, 1300/1080 lbs.

Good luck with your search,
Jay

Last edited:
   / B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping?
What about if I over-lubed the steering parts? Does anyone think that would help it turn easier?

/ B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping? #4  
What about if I over-lubed the steering parts? Does anyone think that would help it turn easier?

No, because the friction that you have to overcome is that between your front tires and the ground, not from the steering parts.

Go drive the tractor, and get a nice big load in the bucket, and then try steering. If you're OK with it, then great; buy the tractor.

Before you do that, try one with power steering. Even without anything in the bucket, my B7100 still required some steering effort if the FEL was even on the tractor (I don't know the weight of the Woods FEL that was on my B7100, but the LA352 on my B7610 is about 600 lbs -- all that is on the front axle). I would certainly say that power steering is less of an issue most of the use of the tractor is for mowing, or pulling implements with the 3PH or drawbar, but if mostly using it for FEL work, then you'll want power steering.

One of the things that I used the FEL on my B7100 was with a pallet fork for moving firewood. I quickly learned, that without power steering, it was much better to use a rear carryall (on the 3PH) for that job. This is also much easier on the ground (I need to drive across my lawn to get to where I store my firewood), as the weight is on the much larger rear tires. It is also easier to see where you are going, and easier to maneuver the pallet into position. This did lessen the need some for power steering for me, at least for that job. In fact, with 600lbs of firewood on the back, the steering was much easier than w/o a load in back.

I forgot to mention in my prior message, that the BX's all have power steering. They are also quite capable machines. Where the BX shines over the B is that they are better mowing machines. I have a dedicated mower (Kubota G1800-S), so I wanted the increased lift capability of the B (both FEL, and 3PH). The B also has better ground clearance (even that that doesn't matter on my property).

I'm not trying to talk down the B7400, it is a fine machine. However, one piece of advice that is a recurring theme here at TBN, is that if you don't buy the tractor you want (or need) with all the features you want (like power steering, or enough HP), you'll end up buying it later.

Now, if, like me, you buy used, and get it for a good price, then it isn't such a bad thing, as these machines hold their value very well, and you'll likely get your money back out of it. So, if you need a tractor now, and don't want to take a few months to find the right one, buy the B7400, and then continue to look. Then there is no pressure to buy one, and you can wait for the right deal, and then sell the B7400.

J.

That's great advice, thank you. The one reason I like it is because it's half the price of a new one and it's in great shape and only has 64 hours on it. If it had power steering, it would be a no-brainer, I'd be going to pick it up.

You've mentioned my concern.... that if I get this, I may get frustrated with no power steering and then want to buy something else later.

One other thing is the weight lift capacity of the 7400 is less than the new ones, even the 2320, which is the smallest B out there new. I tried digging/grading with it yesterday and it worked, but you have to manuever the bucket, move forward, etc... kind of scrape the ground a little at a time and I expect that.

Another quick question - did you have one of those one-hand spinners you can put on a steering wheel on the one you had without the power steering? Was wondering if that would help, but with how much torque it took to turn the wheel, I doubt it would work and think it would probably strip or come off or break...

/ B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping? #6  
I have another thread on the pricing about this tractor, but wanted to expand on the power steering part.

Has anyone had a bota without power steering? It was kind of hard to turn in 4wd and with the bucket loaded, but I wonder if I lube the heck out of the parts that turn - if that would make a difference.

I have an OLD lawn mower - a beater... I recently lubed all of the parts that rub and touch for the steering and it is night and day different and now it's very easy to turn - wondering if something like that can be done on the B7400.

1*I'm thinking for $7,500, hst, 64hrs, 2004, fel, finishing mower on back, good condition and runs good it's worth not having power steering for about half the price of a new one...

Also, I think there is only one hydraulic pump on this tractor and on the new ones, they have 2 and even so, they new ones pump more fluid. B7400 = 3.9gpm, 2320 = 8.3gpm. Does anyone know if I can add the second pump onto the B7400?

I had a B7100, which doesn't have power steering.
2*It is a pain with FEL work, but workable -- just make sure you are moving when turning the steering wheel. Still, with a bad shoulder, I started searching for a tractor with power steering, and just recently bought an '05 B7610, which is almost the same tractor as the B7410 that replaced the B7400. The B7610 has more HP (24), a stronger FEL (LA352), and POWER STEERING.

3*I paid $7500 for it with an LA352 FEL, a 5' rake, and a Woods PHD. It has 125 hours.

This was, of course, a very good deal that took months of looking to find (motivated seller).

4*Some of the others that I missed out, or passed on during that time:
'99 B2400 w/ 490 hrs, incl. back blade, and 14' trailer, $8,000
early 90's B2150 w/ 412 hrs, Bush Hog branded FEL, $6,299 (ebay -- missed the finish of the auction)
early 90's B1750 w/ 1640 FEL, 800 hrs, $5,300 (eBay)
'03 B7500, LA 301 FEL, MMM, 80 hrs, $8,500

$7,500 is a good price for that machine with only 62 hrs., but if you'll be doing lots of FEL work,
5*you'd be best to hold our for power steering. Also, the B7500, B7510, and B7610 all have a bit more power, 21 hp (16 PTO) for the the B7500, B7510, and 24 hp (18 PTO) for the B7610.

The models that I was looking at (that are all similar size to the B7400 you are looking at) with power steering (engine HP/PTO HP in parens):
(early 90s) B1550 (17/15), B1750 (21/17), B2150 (24/19)
(late 90s) B1700 (17/13), B2100 (21/16), B2400 (24/18), B7500 (21/16)
(staring around 2000) B2410 (24/18), B7510 (21/16), B7610 (24/18)

Other info:
Starting with the late '90s, the B7xxx tractors and B2xxx series are almost the same tractor, with the B2xxx models being the deluxe version. The main difference is that the B2xxx tractors have position controler, and a little stronger rear lift, where the B7xxx models have the quater-inching valve. The B2xxx models are rated at 1600 lbs at the pins, and 1300 24" back. The B7xxx models, 1300/1080 lbs.

Good luck with your search,
Jay

1*I think if you shop around you can find one with PS for about the same money.
2*I would not want a tractor without power steering .
3* Power steering for about the same money so it can B done.
4*Good examples of why to look farther and harder.
5*Couldn't agree more.

I think I'm starting to think like you guys. It's been my concern all along and I think if I get it without PS, I'll be looking for one with PS right away because I have a lot of FEL work to do soon.. thanks for the input

/ B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping? #8  
Another quick question - did you have one of those one-hand spinners you can put on a steering wheel on the one you had without the power steering? Was wondering if that would help, but with how much torque it took to turn the wheel, I doubt it would work and think it would probably strip or come off or break...

Actually, I did have the "suicide knob" that you ask about.
It was a big help, especially when turned slightly sideways to watch what you're doing with the box blade or other impelment, or while looking backwards while backing up.

That said, trust me, get one with power steering. You won't regret it. I know that I'd never want to go back to not having it. It makes a huge difference.

Yeah, knowing me, I'd be complaining about it as soon as I bought it and I'd be so mad, I'd get to the point of hating it and wanting something very soon.... then, of course, because it's taken a lot of work convincing the wife I "need" a tractor, to convince her I need another one wouldn't be worth it.... Going for one with power steering from day one. Thanks for the help

/ B7400 - power steering and hydraulic pumping? #10  
You're very welcome. Yes, it is probably easier on wife relations to do it once. I finally got it right the 3rd time (in 13 months).