Tiller suggestion for BX 24

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #1  

Wickaboxet

I have a BX 24 and I was wondering what tiller would be best? Checked out land pride and King Kutter. Land Pride is much more expensive and I was wondering if it is truly worth the extra $.... Ground is rough around here with quite alot of small rocks. Also, reverse tilling vs. forward tilling........???? Might also buy a york rake.....

Any suggestions on what tiller would be best and do both King Kutter and Land Pride fit a BX 24??

Thanks for your time!

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #2  
I am using a Land Pride RTR05 50" with my BX2660 and like it. Either should work well for you; paint and finish is better on Land Pride, but mechanically one isn't "better" than the other. I prefer the reverse rotation, but it takes more power.

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #3  
I am using a Land Pride RTR05 50" with my BX2660 and like it. Either should work well for you; paint and finish is better on Land Pride, but mechanically one isn't "better" than the other. I prefer the reverse rotation, but it takes more power.

A 48'' is just right .for any or all the BX tractors.
[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Rm v.1][/FONT]
[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Rm v.1]Love my KK.[/FONT]

Forward tilling throws the dirt out behind the tiller.
Reverse tilling throws it under the tractor .
I could not use reverse tilling for my applications.

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #4  
I have a BX2350 and I use a Bush Hog RTC-48 tiller with it very effectively. A 48" tiller is just about right for this tractor (the BX2350, of course, is the same as your BX24). I've tilled a piece of land from which a lot of older box alders were removed last September by a tree service company. That left a lot of roots in the soil. The tractor worked hard to tear it all up (the soil is clay loam with some rocks throughout), but I now have a great garden plot.

Knowing how much work it was to do what I did, I am glad that I didn't get a reverse tine tiller. I am not sure that a reverse tine unit ought to be used on anything less than a tractor with maybe 25 pto hp minimum. The BX2350 is rated at 17 pto hp. Perhaps someone with a reverse tine tiller with a BX2660 or equivalent could chime in here. But I wouldn't want one with my BX2350.

Know also that YMMV. Take into consideration your soil type and composition, depth of tilling, how many passes you expect to take to get the results you want, and how much land you have to till.

Bush Hog 48" units are made by Sigma, in Italy (as are I think a lot of 48" tillers out there). This is one very well built machine. I have no regrets whatever in buying it. I'm sure that Land Pride and others are just as good. I'm glad I didn't try to save money on a lesser unit (like, say, Dark Horse, when TSC handled them). I want to buy something once and keep it a while.

Doug

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #5  
same here I bought a bush hog tiller 48' with slip clutch and it worked well for my needs. I used it in clay, good soil, rocks with roots, no problems so far. I think others are saying the same thing- Most tillers are mostly the same except for the gearboxes and paint.

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #6  
Can't say which is best. But I have a KK TG48 gear drive with slip clutch on my BX24. Had to cut the PTO 1-1/2" but that was easy. I love the KK (except the paint job). It is a beast. Haven't tried any others but there is NO need to, this is great.

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #7  
I have a 37" Muratori that works well on my BX2200. I went with narrower width in order to concentrate more hp in smaller area due to the rock hard clay I have. I am very satisfied. Can't comment on others.

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24
Dumb question... but what is involved in "cutting the PTO 1 1/2"????

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #9  
Dumb question... but what is involved in "cutting the PTO 1 1/2"????

I'm sure Pete is talking about the drive shaft that attaches to the PTO and runs the tiller.

If the shaft is too long, serious damage can occur to the tractor.

To shorten the shaft equal amounts are cut from each half to obtain the proper length.

/ Tiller suggestion for BX 24 #10  
I just ordered a 50" Woods tiller for my BX24. Dealer said the 42" Kubota was just not good. Quality is ok but it's only 42" and BX24 will handle the 50" just fine.