A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference.
Bump by request.

Original post 10 years ago and still one of the top questions especially for first time tractor buyers.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #113  
Still have a Fergusson TEA 20 which is a nasty piece 0of work and replaced it with a BX2370, perfect for us with some tight spots to get into and manoeuvre and a nice tight turn in the driveway when grading, only have a 3' harrow for the arena but it still doesn't take long .
We looked at Chinese tractors up to 40hp and whilst cheaper they lacked the build quality or ergonomics or both, pretty to look at but horrible to drive.
BX is easy to get aboard with my bad back and an Airhawk cushion made it comfortable to use for a couple of hours at a time.
Still use a ride on mower as even the BX won't turn on a long stretch of grass at the front of home, fence on one side a 6' ditch on the other, the ride on is low enough to get under the fence a bit to do a U turn, BX is too high and too long and I won't reverse the long distance I need to cut.
We use round bales to feed the horses and the BX can't lift these but it can roll them around and even onto a trailer to move them to where we want them.
With pallet forks I pick half drums of firewood and move to the back door of the house and I top up the raised garden beds with topsoil as needed.
100 litre sprayer fits in the bucket and a boom clamps on the bucket or I use a wand.
Using R4 tyres and haven't got stuck yet but have used the diff lock to get out a couple of times when it has been a bit boggy (I didn't think it was that boggy).
For our place it is perfect and I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed it, we are thinking of buying a bigger place and will see how it suits if this goes ahead, if I need a bigger tractor then I shall get one.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #114  
Some interesting spec's....
Weights: (basic tractors, no FEL or BH per manuf listings)
BX2360.....1322 lbs
BX2660.....1359 lbs
BX25........1542 lbs (FEL & BH not included)
B2320......1433 lbs
B2320DTN.1334 lbs
B2620......1544 lbs
B2920......1544 lbs
Notes, both the BX & B come std w/Cat 1 3ph, rear 540 PTO and ROPS.
FEL and BH optional (except BX25 which comes std)

Super GT (for comparison).
JD X700...840 lbs
JD X749...1000lbs
Notes, Limited 3ph is an option, rear 540 PTO is an option, no ROPS.

Using these specs as a basis, the following can be assumed as to what constitues a SCUT/CUT from a GT.
1) Weight, non conclusive in diffferentiating a SCUT from a CUT but is a considerable difference when the CUT/SCUT is compared against the Super GT.
One BX model weighs in more than the two smallest B's and is within 2 lbs of the 2 largest.
while the Super GT weighs in at a minimum of 300 lbs less.

2) Rear PTO, non conclusive with exception to capacity.
Rear PTO, both the B & BX come std w/a 540 rer PTO.
re. Super GT, rear PTO is an expensive option.

3) CAT 1 3PH, non conclusive, with exception to capacity.
both the B & BX come std w/ a CAT 1 3PH.
re. Super GT, Limited Cat 1 3PH is an expensive option.

4) ROPS, both the B & BX come std w/a ROPS which is required by law for utility type tractors. The Super GT's do not require a ROPS and it isn't offered. (definite class distingusher).

Conclusion, If a Kubota B model is considered a tractor so should the BX.
The Super GT, while an excellent machine isn't in the SCUT/CUT class and when comparably eqt'ed as the smallest SCUT, it still has less capacity and can cost $1000.00's more.

Carry On

Wow, that is indeed a surprise. I had no idea that my BX25 weighed as much as a B!

Wow, that is indeed a surprise. I had no idea that my BX25 weighed as much as a B!

Ground clearance, in my opinion, is a primary reason for going from a BX to a small B. Going from a BX to a bigger B has more factors to consider with ground clearance and weight/traction and more powerful hydraulics and larger buckets being important factors.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #116  
Ground clearance, in my opinion, is a primary reason for going from a BX to a small B. Going from a BX to a bigger B has more factors to consider with ground clearance and weight/traction and more powerful hydraulics and larger buckets being important factors.

And my place is pretty flat with very few obstacles to drive over (even in the woods), so FEL and PTO power would be the main reasons for me to upgrade to a B. Not enough.

I would have to go up to something like an L3901, and the cost would not be worth it to me.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #117  
Interesting read, I do not wish to interrupt this B/BX comparison, but it brings up an issue I've been wondering about with BX transmission cooling fan.
A few years back I was considering a second tractor and was looking at another B or maybe a BX.
At the time there were a few threads that were addressing the cooling fan blades for the transmission on the BX. The plastic fan blades were being damaged/broken from debris like wood stick or small tree limbs. Replacing these plastic fan blades was time consuming resulting in high labor cost for replacing a fairly inexpensive plastic fan. Part of a possible solution was to add protective belly pans.
Has this issue with easily broken cooling fans been resolved ?

Sorry, :eek: I should have researched before posting.
I found a recent thread that address the BX hydro fan issue.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...st-fan-thinking-2.html?highlight=BX+hydro+fan

Last edited:
   / A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #118  
My BX2660 is over ten years old now and it has been an all round workhorse as can be seen by my list of attachments used regularily !....However I always have wondered if the larger diameter wheels on the B model would of been noticeably better when it came to traction in mud ( ATV trail work) or for approaching and scooping from piles of dirt. I have found I lose traction far before I lose engine grunt. I have R4 tires.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #119  
My BX2660 is over ten years old now and it has been an all round workhorse as can be seen by my list of attachments used regularily !....However I always have wondered if the larger diameter wheels on the B model would of been noticeably better when it came to traction in mud ( ATV trail work) or for approaching and scooping from piles of dirt. I have found I lose traction far before I lose engine grunt. I have R4 tires.

Same here. I rarely run out of power before running out of traction with my BX25.

/ A BX just isn't a B. You have to try it to know the difference. #120  
I just got stuck yesterday with my BX23. It's pretty easy to do. The tire treads fill up with mud very easily, it's a fairly heavy machine, and it just spins. Doesn't help that my rear diff lock doesn't work. Fortunately I've been able to get it out each time I've ever had it stuck between the FEL and the backhoe, just sometimes takes time.

I'm strongly considering upgrading to a B2601 or B2650 this year. I don't want to go too heavy as I still want to be able to transport it. Also don't want to go too big because I sometimes work in some semi tight areas, especially on trails. Right now I'm leaning toward the 2601.