Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch

/ Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch #1  

mswlogo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 DT (Gear)
I had the unit that clamped on the bucket which worked ok but was a bit of stress on the bucket and tended to move around a bit. I could have fixed it but I'd rather it be in the rear anyway. So I bolted it onto the box blade. Took all of 30 minutes. I used three 1/2 inch diameter bolts. Two 1.5 inch on the lip and one 5 inch into the main bar with a large spacer. I tapped a thread into the main bar for the 5 inch bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_4104.JPG
    IMG_4104.JPG
    800.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 1,625
   / Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch #2  
Looks good, I had done something similar on the back of a tiller once. The only problem I had was any tongue weight at all on the trailer and my front end would be off the ground.

Box blade is a bunch lighter than a tiller though.

Good luck,
Joel

/ Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch
Looks good, I had done something similar on the back of a tiller once. The only problem I had was any tongue weight at all on the trailer and my front end would be off the ground.

Box blade is a bunch lighter than a tiller though.

Good luck,
Joel

Yeah I have not tried it yet and the trailer does have a lot of tongue weight and it's all fixed as far as trying to rebalance it.

I can add weight to the FEL pretty easy.

Did you have an FEL on it?

I tried crowning road today with box blade tipped. It seemed to work good, but I'll have to wait until it rains to see how it does.

/ Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch #5  
Looks like a handy hitch! I welded one in the middle back plate of my grader box so it was lower to the ground and love it! But a word of caution. If you have a trailer on it, and crest a hill, or drive through a dip, you are certain to bend something!! There's only so much hinge in that hitch.

Looks like a handy hitch! I welded one in the middle back plate of my grader box so it was lower to the ground and love it! But a word of caution. If you have a trailer on it, and crest a hill, or drive through a dip, you are certain to bend something!! There's only so much hinge in that hitch.

I was going to use one of those tonque inserts that lowers the ball quite a bit. Like was is used on large trucks.

Can you explain what you mean by bending something? Because it's mounted high? Why is it limited compared to say my Jeep? Because of short wheel base on the tractor?

/ Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch #7  
The trouble comes with the distance from the wheels to the hitch, With your Jeep, its probably about 24-30". On the tractor it's about more like 4'. This means if anything gets twisted, there's a huge amount of mechanical leverage cranking on that hitch. And I would think it's not what is going to bend. You should be alright if you carry the box low...

Isn't there less mechanical advantage with the longer distance. It may move up and down more but with less mechanical advantage. Distance from rear to front wheels is the long arm of lever and distance from rear wheels to hitch is the short arm. The longer the short arm the less mechanical advantage.

The box blade itself should stop it from going to low.

I think if stressed the weakest link would be the ball lock and it would pop off before bending.

Thanks for heads up but I think it should be ok.

/ Checkout my "Combo" BoxBlade and Trailer Hitch #9  
Looks good.

Only one question though. How do you get onto your tractor to get it out of your garage? :D

Looks good.

Only one question though. How do you get onto your tractor to get it out of your garage? :D

Oh you noticed that. Getting to my work bench where I'm standing taking the shot is even trickier. It's a boat house with a sunfish, kayak, float toys etc. And the tractor.