BH65 control panel rattle fix

/ BH65 control panel rattle fix #1  

Tompet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77, Massey Ferguson 1540
I have a BH65 on my 2920 with a control panel that rattled constantly and loudly over all engine rpm's that I decided to silence. Another owner (jambx) brought up the subject so I figured someone else may want to read of a possible solution. The first attempt consisted of taking back panel off, which while off stopped some of the rattle so I thought some nylon washers on bolts and behind the panel along with a strip of auto door guard along top would isolate back panel rattle. This helped some at a couple rpm speeds but overall not a fix.

I did notice control panel wobbled and I thought it was just a not a very stable design with just two attachment points and after all the bolts were really tight. There was a third hole from factory under decal that apparently not used in final design. However, it was getting dark and when I happened to shine a flashlight on one of the bolts I saw a small gap. The one bolt was not seated all the way from the factory but it was already tight and not going in any further. So, pulled bolt...thread did not look right on welded on nut, it was late and I took some thread cutting oil switched bolt and was then able to drive it home...much more stable control panel.

Round two eliminating rattle focused on the control lever linkages. I tightened bolt a little connecting stabilizer linkages and pulled tiny cotter pins and added a very slim nylon washer. Stabilizer rattle eliminated.
Most of the rattle was from the two main control linkages. All Kubota would have to do is add a nylon bushing to each linkage rod and this vibration would be gone. Anyway, to get guide plate off (with the u-shaped slot in it) would have required a 1/4" drive metric angle socket which didn't have or disassembling all linkages. My solution was properly sized nylon zip ties which acted like a bushing. I did add two more on each outer side from what is shown here. The ties had no effect on how smooth all the controls operate...In any event, I did give everything a light spray of WD-40 before reassembly. I can't believe how much quieter the machine sounds. What a difference!
TP

Attachments

• bolt-washers-614.jpg
    bolt-washers-614.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 212
  • lower-bolts-613.jpg
    lower-bolts-613.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 211
  • linkages-zip-ties-612.jpg
    linkages-zip-ties-612.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 227
   / BH65 control panel rattle fix #2  
I had to laugh. I was out today and was totally disgusted on the amount of vibration and rattle coming from the BH. So today I decided to removed the cover to see where the rattling was coming from. I too saw a lot of areas to improve but since it was quite late I was going to tackle this during the week. Your post was so timely. Thanks for sharing!!!

As you pointed out it it appears to be such a small fix why Kubota didnt address it is beyond me. In fact when I went to adjust my thumb today the pin was extrmely hard to get out (and yes I removed the paint inside the hole) - I had to use a tool to get it in and out - Kubota should have refined a lot of this by now.

My list of small issues are growing by the hour;

1) the vibration / rattle under the floor when the tractor is under load (still unresolved)
2) the pin that holds the 3pt stuff through the tow bar wont slide back and forth (need to use a hammer)
3) the pin in the thumb (hard to remove / install)
4) BH control vibration (thanks again Tom!!!)
5) two wheel lugs remove the entire stud out of the hub

but I still love this tractor!!! :)