Help with steel tracks coming off on KX

/ Help with steel tracks coming off on KX #1  

Jae30001

Help with KX steel tracks jumping off track.

Me and a buddy have been running a kubota kx excavator for about 2 months now. Everyday while its in use, the steel tracks pop off track atleast 3-4 times per 8 hour day. We sit there with endless amounts of greese to get these tracks back on.

Is it normal for the tracks to pop off this often? What could be some issues or worn parts to really inspect on this situation. All the sprockets in my opinion feel extremely rounded off. Would that be a bad track? Now the terrain is extremely muddy, clay, and rocky. It ranges from 2ft deep mud pits, to 20ft wide clay pits, with rock all inbetween.

This was bought used, no telling what it has been through. The first day it was on site we had to call a guy to get the run around on putting the track back on.

thanks.

Last edited:
   / Help with steel tracks coming off on KX #2  
Sorry I can't help you but if you don't get any feedback here post down in the construction equipment forum where those guys talks skid steers, excavators and the like a lot more.

/ Help with steel tracks coming off on KX #3  
First of all make sure the tracks are adjusted properly once they are on. Properly adjusted tracks actually are quite loose, but should not start to walk off or pop really loudly when operating. Once tracks get sand in them they get even tighter, and overtightened tracks are a PIA to get loose again

Your drive sprockets should not be sharp and pointy, but should have a flat or slowly rounded tip.

/ Help with steel tracks coming off on KX
First of all make sure the tracks are adjusted properly once they are on. Properly adjusted tracks actually are quite loose, but should not start to walk off or pop really loudly when operating. Once tracks get sand in them they get even tighter, and overtightened tracks are a PIA to get loose again

Your drive sprockets should not be sharp and pointy, but should have a flat or slowly rounded tip.

alright, so then the drive sprockets should be in good shape.. they seem to be pretty slowly rounded. I was thinking along the lines of a worn chain tears a pointed sprocket.. Now you say not too tight, i crank the grease gun untill it tightens no more, does that not sound right?

/ Help with steel tracks coming off on KX #5  
somthing is not right, I can't say I've ever heard of someone throwing tracks on a KX.

/ Help with steel tracks coming off on KX #6  
Use your stick to lift the front of the tracks slightly prior to iniating a turn, ie turn on the 'heels' rather than sliding the track sideways. That will help. Also rotating the stick in the direction of the turn at the same time helps.
Also 'seesawing' or back and forth slight turns rather than sharp one track locked quick turns will lessen detracking.
Good operators with absolutely sloppy tracks can work all day without detracking using those techniques.
I watched one operator actually move about with only one track mainly by using his stick to support the trackless side.. He also always turned on his heels to prevent sliding the tracks sideways.

/ Help with steel tracks coming off on KX
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it! Sadly it will be sometime before i head up there to get some pictures, its remote about 130 miles from here, nearest water tap for a wash is about 10 miles.. ill see what i can come up with, and keep it on the heels thanks!