It made me feel sick to my stomach...

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #1  

teeravis1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4044R
Was mowing with the 60" mmm on my B3030 last week, and I have one bad rock that sticks up in the way back of my yard. I mowed right up to it and stopped, because I know it is there. As I looked up toward the house the tractor weight shifted, my back tire was in a depression and the front right mower blade caught the rock and hit it hard, then it ground on it and sparks were flying out the grass chute. I killed the pto, throttled down and raised the deck as fast I could, but man it seemed like it took a long time. Like I said it just made my stomach feel sick, I know it is there, why did I have to get so close!!:mad::( Anyway I took the blade off and it was bashed in quite bad, I sharpened it with my grinder but I couldn't get the indentations out, but I did get it sharp. Finished mowing with it and thought I was feeling more vibration, but I may just have never piad attention to it before and now I was, if you know what I mean when something like this happens. I am going to buy a new blade this week and put it on and hopefully everything is good and I didn't damage anything else but the blade. So my whole point of this is to ask the question has anyone else had a bad hit on their mower deck, and was everything OK or did you damage something beside the blade on the mmm? Also the rock is no longer in the yard, it was a large solid shale formation sticking out of the ground attached to a huge portion below grade (which is why it was left, couldn't get it out at the time of putting in the yard), but I took a sledge hammer and pick to it and busted off the top chunk sticking out. It didn't go without a fight, I took a lot of rock shrapnel which drew blood quite a few times, but I got it... and yes I was definetley wearing safety glasses.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #2  
I know what you mean about that feeling. Let me see, I have hit rebar as well as more than one T post lying in the grass, bricks and a boat anchor and that doesn't count the small stumps and chunks. I did have to repace the blades, but no other damage, these decks are pretty tough.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #3  
I'm sorry I can not answer your question, but I appreciate you sharing the story. I also have to deal with a couple of rocks while mowing and I know I get too close every now and then. You experience is a wake up call: Thanks, and I hope everything turns out OK.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #4  
I've had some bad hits. Worst damage I have had was a bent a spindle. I've bent a couple of blades also. If you put your deck on a level concrete floor and measure from the floor to your blade tips all the way around and they are level no harm was done. The bearings are pretty tough. I have never heard of anyone tearing up a bearing except for lack of grease.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #5  
Cheer up. The coming winter Frost's will raise the rock again!:D

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #6  
Was mowing with the 60" mmm on my B3030 . As I looked up toward the house the tractor weight shifted, my back tire was in a depression and the front right mower blade caught the rock and hit it hard, then it ground on it and sparks were flying out the grass chute. I killed the pto, throttled down and raised the deck as fast I could, but man it seemed like it took a long time. Like I said it just made my stomach feel sick, I know it is there, why did I have to get so close!!:mad::( Anyway I took the blade off and it was bashed in quite bad, I sharpened it with my grinder but I couldn't get the indentations out, but I did get it sharp. Finished mowing with it and
1*thought I was feeling more vibration, but I may just have never piad attention to it before and now I was damage anything else but the blade. So my whole point of this is to ask the question has anyone else had a bad hit on their mower ,
2* I took a lot of rock shrapnel which drew blood quite a few times, but I got it... and yes I was definetley wearing safety glasses.
1*It probably is vibrating more because the blade is now out of balance.
2*This is why I would not be with out my BH.

I'm sorry I can not answer your question, but I appreciate you sharing the story.
3*I also have to deal with a couple of rocks while mowing and I know I get too close every now and then. You experience is a wake up call: Thanks, and I hope everything turns out OK.
3*Where back hoes come in handy.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #7  
What LBrown said... Pick up one of those cheap blade balancers at the home store and file the heavy side down until it measures even on both sides to a level surface.

I have been mowing for 5 years over a 4" drain pipe cap that is level with the surface and destroyed it with the mower last week. Call me confused but I know what you mean. Leave the detail work for the string trimmer. Hope it's just the blade for you.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #8  
I just finished replacing an axle on my one wheelhorse decks. Fortunately, the axle was only $22.00 and and the cost of a new set of blades. Got trapped on a rock and it felt like I was grinding down my spine!!! My yard is loaded with palisades granite and mower decks are not match for it!!

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #9  
I once hit a rock real good with my 6 foot Ford finish mower. I replaced the blade and mowed with it for 10 more years until I bought a new Woods. If the blade didn't do a rapid slow/stop the spindle has a good chance of being OK.

/ It made me feel sick to my stomach... #10  
My son can find rocks where no one else could when mowing. Got the holes in the house siding to prove it!