3 point hitch adjustment/broken link

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #1  

BimmerRacer

Bronze Member
Was using the Cyclone Rake for the first time this weekend (thing is awesome, but a PIA to navigate with around trees and fences, guess it takes some practice) and broke one of the sway buckles. I suspect because I made the attachment too rigid.

584662426_A27C4-L.jpg

A while ago I came across a "how to" guide for using 3 pt hitch and didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Does anyone have the link or have any pointers on how properly set up that thing.

Also, is the replacement dealer only or do folks use something else?

thanks

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #2  
I bent one of my turnbuckles a couple of weeks ago and just banged it straight. Works OK, I don't get the full travel anymore. Good enough until I can get to the dealer. I think the Kubota BX 3PT parts are Kubota only, so it's a trip to the parts department.

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link
Well, the U shape on mine is now more like an L. It's still holding the arm somewhat in place and I actually finished mowing like that, but I suspect its not good to keep it that way

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #4  
Nice setup. I like that 3PH bracket w/the reciever hitch. Looks like you modified it for the CR, if so good deal :D

re. adjusting the sway links. I've had good luck by hand tightening them as far as I can, making sure the center line of the hitch/implement is centered w/the tractor. Once I've got them as tight as I can by hand I then test the side to side sway w/just the bracket mounted (I use the bracket supplied by CR). If theres no sway I then lock it down w/the lock nuts, if theres a little play I'll tighten w/the wrench before I lock it down but I only tighten to the point where the side to side play is gone and not any more.
It should work the same for you even w/the PATs easy change installed.

I'm on my 4th season w/my BX23 and CR and so far so good. I highly enjoy the compost from the recycled grass and leaves I collect during mowing season.

My BX23 doesn't have the 1/4" valve so I use check chains to limit how far the 3PH/CR drops when I lower the MMM. I attach them from the eyehooks on the subframe to the 3PH bracket. In this way, when I raise/lower the MMM to avoid obstacles and/or in transport, all I have to do is lower the MMM all the way down and not worry about how far the 3PH drops because the check chains stops it at the exact same height every time, my version of set it - forget it :D
Also makes it easy to mount/dismount as it lines up exactly w/my home made front caster dollie.

In any case, you may want to get a price form tractorsmart.com to compare against your dealer. Not that theres anything wrong w/dealing w/just your dealer, but theres good deals to be had in these tight times anymore and it pays to do alittle shopping around.
Good luck

Sounds like maybe I just was too rough with it and the part that perhaps was designed to give to prevent damage to something else gave up. I know BMWs have rear trailing arms which are like salad tongs and collapse to protect the rear subframe/diff.

Anyways, I did order from tractorsmart, mostly due to ability to do so from my desk and not going to my local dealer as I can only get there on a saturday due to my/their work hours. And it was a 5 dollar part I broke anyway, so I ordered a few spares :)

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #6  
<snip>
A while ago I came across a "how to" guide for using 3 pt hitch and didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Does anyone have the link or have any pointers on how properly set up that thing.<snip>
My B7610 manual has a general guide for tightening like with the BB etc.
Did you check your manual?

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #7  
I've broke/bent them before using the brush hog but that was when I bumped up against an immovable object...like an unseen stump. Pretty sure I replaced 2 in almost 20 years.

Yeah it happens, but whenever I attach some 3PH equipment the last thing I do is elevate and even out the tow with the two turnbuckles tightened down and locked tight.

If you never touched another tree with the Cyclone I doubt it would happen again.

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #8  
I have broken a half dozen turnbuckles working with a BB in rocky soil. It catches a tine on one side and pop! Always breaks where welded to the little nuts.

I just keep spares. New ones are cheap and available online (try Messicks or Carvers). The ones that get broken can sometimes be tack-welded back together, but the threads inside the nuts are never quite the same.

I swear having spares keeps original parts from breaking. The anti-Murphy law.

I ordered 4 (2 of each) from Tractosmart, should be coming tomorrow.

/ 3 point hitch adjustment/broken link #10  
i leave some play in the 3pt. so the impliments can move and vibrate some without putting extra strain on the 3 pt. and tractor. for safety reasons you people who just hammer out bent 3 pt. parts are looking for trouble. that's a dangerous area to be messing with. if a part bends i would replace it without hesitation. none of the parts back there cost more than a few bucks. be safe.