hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong?

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #1  

grossgary

Silver Member
Tractor
1994 Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
is this something you get better at or is something wrong? i've never hooked up a 3PH attachment before...well smaller plows/discs but those were easy to move and i didn't notice.

I wrestled with the new brush hog for a long time before finally getting it hooked up to my B7100. the two 3PH arms would not spread apart enough to clear both attaching pins. i'd have to attach one, then attach the other while sliding the attachment/torquing it. is it supposed to be like that or should i be able to swing them both wide enough to clear the pins?

had to get one side on...in the mean time the other side would go to high to attach over a bracket once i got the first on, so started over, then it just didn't want to line up...etc.

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #2  
I don't know exactly the way the 3ph arms for your specific tractor work. Somebody who does will give you an exact answer.

Typically, there is a way to adjust the arms for different widths of attachment pins... either chains that can be adjusted, or pins in the arms can be adjusted to widen/narrow the resting width of the arms. Look for adjustments on your tractor.

It takes some experience to get the hang of hooking up, but you will get it. I recommend parking the attachment on a flat surface for both the tractor and attachment. For some of my attachments, I need to put them on a wood pallet to raise them up so the hitch and pins mate properly.

Some arms allow a extension of a inch or so to make hooking up easier.

Net... we've all had your experience... then with practice and understanding the adjustments available for our specific tractors it gets easier... but it's never completely effortless:)

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #3  
i used the concrete floor in my tractor barn to my advantage by building a custom wooden frame dolly on wheels for each imp. just roll the item to the back of the tractor and wiggle a little. makes cleaning easier also. the cheap rolling wheels are fairly inexpensive each and can hold a good amt. of weight (times 4).

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #4  
You will get better with experience

I agree with the previous post having the tractor and implement level will make the task easier

I always set the front of my Bush Hog on two short pieces of 4X4

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #5  
grossgary between equipment swaps I loosen the nuts locking down both turnbuckles. Then using both hands at the same time try and loosen both turnbuckles the same amount.

On occasion I've used a spud bar to help square things up but most of the time things work out OK. After doing it a few times you'll develop a procedure and all of a sudden everything becomes easier.

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #6  
GrossGary:

Are the pins on your brush hog pointing out? If they are remove them and have them pointing towards eachother. With them pointing in, you won't have to spread the lower arms so wide to try and attach.

Where abouts are you in WV? I'm just south of Morgantown.

Swmpbgy1

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #7  
I'm like you, every time I had hooked up my 3 point blade, it was small enough and I was big enough I could just muscle it around and make it line up. I also bought a used bursh hog recently, and I also sturggled getting it hooked up. I'd say your problems are normal.

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #8  
Can't say I've got a whole lot of experience attaching 3PH implements but I've gotten better with practice. One suggestion I read here was very helpful and that was to lower your 3PH arms all the way down first. Reason is that there is no down pressure on a typical 3PH so you can raise each lower arm by hand to hook up. This eliminates the need to get each side at the right height for hook up. You still need to deal with getting the spread right, but as swmpbgy1 suggested, try pointing the pins in if you're not able to get your arms spread enough with the current set up. The other suggestion I agree with is dollies. I put my heavier implements on dollies to make moving them around and slight alignment adjustments easier, well that and a good size crow bar. :D

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #9  
I don't know what's more annoying.
a. Trying to get the 3PH on and realize it's upside down or
b. Manhandling the rake or boxblade onto the hitch

Maybe LBrown59 is on to something with a tractor for each job.

/ hooking up 3PH to attachment - is this normal or wrong? #10  
One trick that I regularly use with bush hog is to set it down on a 2X4 that is stacked on a 2X6 - that extends out both sides of mower near the front. This allows you to slide it left/right fairly easily (the mower will slide on the 2X4 or the 2X4 will slide on the 2X6). I pivot the tail wheel to re-angle the whole machine. Makes connecting the 3-point much easier.
Mike