Kerosene vs. ??

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #1  

R_Walter

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
In the owners' manual for my L4240 it says to use kerosene to clean the fuel filter. Is there a good substitute such as, perhaps, ATF or plain diesel fuel in lieu of kerosene that can be used?

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #2  
I used kerosene in the past because that's what the manual says, but last time I soaked it in mineral spirits and dried it.

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #3  
Cleaning your fuel filter with fuel would be like cleaning your underwear with...

Oh, never mind. :eek:

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #4  
Crap

Dumb question, wouldn't it be quicker and easier to replace this fuel filter.
If there is a fuel problem, check your source.

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #5  
there's very little difference between diesel and kero except that kero is alot more filtered, and has no additives, colorants and dyes. although Kero has very little lubrication additive (actually none) it is used as an anti gel additive for diesel in the cold (below freezing) months. any other stuff you would use may leave a bad (for a diesel engine) residue or vapor.

i would suspect the reason for using kero is that since it starts out clear, you would see the difference when the filter housing is actually clean. a couple of swishes and a light wiping should return a clean bowl and housing, with proof in the clean appearance.

using diesel would only add more colored dyes to dirty up the whole thing.

atf is OIL, it has sticking, gelling properties. those dont help remove the grime and sludge.

on an off topic, using kero as fuel in the winter does yield less 'power' since kero has less btu energy in it per gallon. but this must be done to keep diesels running continuous when its freezing.

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #6  
Unlike other solvents or petroleum products, kerosene is a "refinery relative" of diesel fuel and is totally compatible. It's lighter (thinner), and can be used as a fuel (jets, lamps, heaters) or solvent. Its solvent property makes it good for cleaning things diesel...its fuel property means it won't harm diesel fuel systems. Win-win.

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #7  
i don't need kerosene for anything, so storing extra fuel just to clean a fuel filter is not practical. when the fuel filter gets dirty, i just replace it. i also use on road diesel so i can see the dirt on the filter better. with the amount i use the tractor, i won't loose sleep over paying the road tax.

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #8  
Is the filter a metal screen? If so, how about carb cleaner?

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #9  
i don't need kerosene for anything, so storing extra fuel just to clean a fuel filter is not practical. when the fuel filter gets dirty, i just replace it. i also use on road diesel so i can see the dirt on the filter better. with the amount i use the tractor, i won't loose sleep over paying the road tax.

I got tired of lugging/lifting 5 gallon cans so i built this.
Now that I have this it just makes sense to save on fuel 2 ways by not paying tax on it and getting free home delivery .

/ Kerosene vs. ?? #10  

I got tired of lugging/lifting 5 gallon cans so i built this.
Now that I have this it just makes sense to save on fuel 2 ways by not paying tax on it and getting free home delivery .

Why is it tax free, you're not using home heating oil are you?