Warning!! Digital Instrument Cluster and Water!!

/ Warning!! Digital Instrument Cluster and Water!! #1  

Deano

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
A word of caution for owners of tractors (BX24 and BX25 for sure) with the instrument cluster with digital tach/hour meter. I was washing my tractor (no smart comments!!:D) after heavy work in ash and dry dirt and decided to take off the screen that covers the battery and rinse out the radiator and battery area. I finished with that and while washing the rest of the tractor, I noticed water had gotten into the instument cluster. So I removed it and removed back cover and front plexiglass and allowed it to dry in the sun.

So, I will now remove the cluster when spraying under the dash like that again.

Deano

/ Warning!! Digital Instrument Cluster and Water!! #2  
Or Pre-spray with WD-40, which stands for Water Dispersant.
Steve

/ Warning!! Digital Instrument Cluster and Water!! #4  
i use a garden hose with practically no pressure, almost like a light rain, and a scrub brush. i try to get as little water on the instrument pannel as possible. i don't spray anything like wd-40 (degreaser) on the tractor since it probably isn't good for most plastics and rubber. i don't see the benefit of spraying degreaser on the tractor before washing for the purpose of trying to keep water out. if you don't think it should get wet, and it doesn't need to be cleaned, don't hose it down.

/ Warning!! Digital Instrument Cluster and Water!! #5  
So like everybody else I had issues with water in my Gauges. Of course when it starting smoking it was the connector that melted before the gauge gave up the ghost. It never blew a fuse. I searched and searched for the connector with no success. I finally found the connector and pins. This is a Aptiv (formerly Delphi) GT 150 series sealed connector. The connector is common and available everywhere I buy this type of stuff. Crimp Supply (the one google finds without a www in front of it) sells the individually. They sell them on E-bay also. The pins are 18-16 Ga. Female Metri-Pack Terminal, GT 150 Series, Sealed (manufacture part number 12191819) version. The wire seals are Blue 18-16 Ga. Metri-Pack Seals, GT 150 Series, Sealed (manufacture part number 15366060). The empty spaces ar filled with Green Metri-Pack Cavity Plugs, GT 150 Series, Sealed (manufacture part number 15305171). The release tool I use is Metri-Pack Terminal Release Tool part number 12094429. and the crimpers I use are cheap version part number 37A11019 I have rebuilt many connector with these through the years. And last but not least the connector is a 16-Way Female Metri-Pack Housings, GT 150 Series, Sealed (manufacture part number 15326863) version. I reuse the rear "purple" wire clamp so I do not have a part number for it. I will take pictures if anybody is interested.