Kubota L35 compared to Ford 3000

/ Kubota L35 compared to Ford 3000 #1  

clsmith

Hello all,
I've done a lot of reading, but never posted on here. There seems be a lot very intelligent users on this site so I picked it as the place to come for some answers. I currently have a '75 Ford 3000, and want to go to a kubota with a loader and backhoe. I have found a L35 for sale that is reasonably priced. I currently have a 6 foot 25-40 hp rotary cutter, and a 8' tufline disc harrow that I use with my 3000. The disc weight probably around 1300 lbs. The 3000 specs rate it at 41 engine hp and 39 pto hp and it weighs 3790 lbs. The L35 on the other hand specs at 32 Net engine hp and 26 pto hp weighing in at 6987 with loader and how. I figure the hoe weights around 1500 lbs., which would make the L35 weigh around 5500 lbs. Now for the questions, do ya'll think the L35 will be able to pull the disc with the lower hp, but higher weight, and what will the lower pto hp give me using the rotary cutter. Thanks in advance for any concern or info give.

/ Kubota L35 compared to Ford 3000 #2  
Just got a 2000 L35. Never had anything so stable.Power isn't an issue for me. Lottsa gears and great traction. Very strong on the hydraulics. And it has 4000 hrs on it.My 2 cents

/ Kubota L35 compared to Ford 3000 #3  
It's probably stating the obvious to mention that you're comparing 2 different kinds of tractors there. The Ford will have better ground clearance and probably does tillage chores better, while the L35 was built to move dirt. The L35 will probably pull the disc but you will definitely feel the difference in hp and notice its weight. Likewise, 35 hp should be enough to run a 6' cutter in average conditions but would probably be slower in heavy mowing.

Factors to consider: a) L35 loader is not removable... you take it everywhere. A tractor with a cutter on the back and a FEL up front is a one-man parade... it's long, so be careful when mowing near fences, vehicles, etc. b) L35 usually has industrial tires which are very rugged but lack the field traction of farm tires, particularly in wet or slippy conditions. c) As a commercial-grade machine, the L35 was a fair amount more expensive than a standard utility or compact tractor of similar size. If it's being sold cheap, be careful it's not a beater that has been worked to death.

If you're mostly going to be using the disc and cutter, maybe the L35 isn't the obvious best choice because you're paying for capabilities you don't expect to use very much. But if you need to get some serious digging work done and also handle some of those other chores, it's a gem.

/ Kubota L35 compared to Ford 3000 #4  
It's probably stating the obvious to mention that you're comparing 2 different kinds of tractors there. The Ford will have better ground clearance and probably does tillage chores better, while the L35 was built to move dirt. The L35 will probably pull the disc but you will definitely feel the difference in hp and notice its weight. Likewise, 35 hp should be enough to run a 6' cutter in average conditions but would probably be slower in heavy mowing.

Factors to consider: a) L35 loader is not removable... you take it everywhere. A tractor with a cutter on the back and a FEL up front is a one-man parade... it's long, so be careful when mowing near fences, vehicles, etc. b) L35 usually has industrial tires which are very rugged but lack the field traction of farm tires, particularly in wet or slippy conditions. c) As a commercial-grade machine, the L35 was a fair amount more expensive than a standard utility or compact tractor of similar size. If it's being sold cheap, be careful it's not a beater that has been worked to death.

If you're mostly going to be using the disc and cutter, maybe the L35 isn't the obvious best choice because you're paying for capabilities you don't expect to use very much. But if you need to get some serious digging work done and also handle some of those other chores, it's a gem.

I'd say that about sums it up.