BX Idling

/ BX Idling #1  

scarlo101

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 1850, NH TN75
Does anybody know why these small diesel engines on these tractors idle so high? (above 1000 rpm) Small diesel engines in autos idle at much slower rpm and are therefore much quieter!

/ BX Idling #2  
The general consensus here is that Kubota does it so the tractor will pass emissions testing. Diesels dont run hot enough at 700rpms to burn off all the gasses the EPA wants them to burn.

At 1300 rpms my hydraulics barely move anyways, there is no benefit to slowing the motor IMO

/ BX Idling #3  
Man, and tractor time used to be my escape from thinking about the government. Now I'll be thinking about my government-controlled idle speed. :rolleyes:

/ BX Idling #4  
yeah, i test ran a 2320 and 2920 and the 2920 idles higher than the 2320... thought it was interesting....

I would think the only time we'd want them to idle lower is when it's running just sitting there.... waiting on US to do something :)

/ BX Idling #5  
Maybe to keep them from shaking themselves apart.

/ BX Idling #8  
I shudder along with the engine when I turn the key off.

Don

/ BX Idling #9  
I shudder along with the engine when I turn the key off.

Don

I cringe everytime I shut it off:eek:....I agree, any lower of an idle would have bolts flying everywhere:D

/ BX Idling #10  
Same here - I hate the way it shuts off. I really scares me and makes me wonder if I should have left it running 24/7 but then I would have too many hours. (maybe ill connect it to a pto gen LOL) . I am glad that I am not the only one feeling this way.