Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well?

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #1  

TRUST

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 2620 HST
I've been tackling some serious stumps lately and its not going well. I'm thinking of trying a ripper tooth for the BH. Can anyone recommend?

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #2  
I have the BroTek ripper on my Woods BH6000 bh on a BX2200. I have not gone after any stumps yet, but the ripper allows me to rip through dry hardpan (slowly) whereas the bucket itself cannot dig in the dry hardpan. When the hardpan has been soaking under water all winter, the bucket can dig slowly, whereas the ripper can rip it apart faster. The only bad thing is that the tooth is regular steel and mine (which came sharp) was blunt after one minute in the hardpan (my hardpan is truly like concrete). I wish that BroTek would make it with a mount for a removable tooth so that an old tooth could be taken off and a new carbide tooth put on as needed.

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #3  
I have a b3030 with a 75 series hoe, i had a bx23 before, one thing I do to help with the stumps is move out away from the base. The roots get smaller and are much easier to break away from the the stump as much as 4 feet. One more thing you can do is not cut the tree down before you dig, the weight of the tree will cut your stump removal time in half just be careful

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #4  
I have found the Bro-Tek ripper quite helpful in digging out stumps. I dug this one out and the ripper helped a lot. The next time I will have a boulder in the loader bucket while I am digging with the ripper. There were several times that I hooked a root and probably could have ripped right through it, but the front of the tractor was coming off the ground.
stump2.JPG

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well?
Thanks for the tips!

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #7  
I also just move out further on the root, but have considered a ripper tooth, just not sure if it'd be worth it. I have removed way over 100+ roots and hope to stop messing with them some day. If you really want to get rid of roots fast and easy rent a good sized excavator, they can make quick rootless holes. I also just did 15 trees root and tree in 1 shot, but this is not for someone with no experience.

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #8  
I would suggest getting the ripping/trenching plow with the ripper.

I ran a ditch from the house to the outbuilding ~130' and the trencher made it look easy.

Only went down 24" or so, but it took longer to cut and glue the PVC together than it took to trench.

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #9  
I would suggest getting the ripping/trenching plow with the ripper.

I ran a ditch from the house to the outbuilding ~130' and the trencher made it look easy.

Only went down 24" or so, but it took longer to cut and glue the PVC together than it took to trench.

I have the trencher add on for the ripper and haven't had a chance to use it yet and am curious as to how it worked for you. You drove forward with the trencher in the ground and had no problems? I'm a little worried about damaging the backhoe doing this, but figured if the RPM's were low enough, the tractor would stop before any damage occurs.

/ Ripper tooth for BH...Do they work well? #10  
I tried getting a large maple tree stump out with my BX24, and after trenching all around with the BH, found the remaining tap root system still held it solidly in place. My pickup wouldn't budge it with chains. I want a Bro-tek ripper, but it isn't in the budget.

I went to Tractor Supply and bought a ripper tooth for $38, bought a new 5/8ths drill bit for $14, and some 5/8ths 2" bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers.

A short time later, I had a reversible ripper tooth attached to my backhoe bucket. Originally I mounted it "tine up", but found "tine down" worked better to spear under the main root ball and strip away soil and break apart the underside roots that kept the maple in place. As soil accumulated in my perimeter trenching, I still had the use of the bucket to pull it out, without switching between a dedicated ripper, and dedicated bucket. I mounted it in 'bucket neutral' alignments, so I can pull in or thrust out; and it doesn't hit the BH frame when I curl the bucket all the way in.

The ripper is very solid, and I was lifting the tractor with the torque applied at times. I may sharpen the inner shaft edge above the tooth, to cut through roots rather than snapping them, but I'm extremely happy with this multipurpose adaptation, that cost less than $55.

Being able to switch it between "tooth in" and "tooth out" in five minutes with just a ratchet wrench adds to the versatility! I've only been playing with it for an hour before losing daylight, but I used it to grab some surface roots I've been bouncing over, on the way to the storage shed, and that worked like a charm, too.

Photos attached, in the "tooth out" original position.

Attachments

• ripper label.JPG
    ripper label.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 530
  • ripper side shot.JPG
    ripper side shot.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,399
  • ripper oper view.JPG
    ripper oper view.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 741