Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #1  

KeithInSpace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I was mowing at WOT with my 60" deck and OEM bagger engaged at full boogie...music mix on the iPod...ear protection on. About 3 minutes into my mow on flat terrain (at the time) with normal-length turf grass, there was a rather disturbing blow of black smoke out of the exhaust. It lasted 2 or 3 seconds...just sooty black smoke shooting out of the exhaust. It has never happened before, stopped as quickly as it started, and did not show up again during my ~45 minute mow on varied terrain.

There was no associated loss of power, dip in RPM, or symptom of any problem.

Just a bubble of something funky in the fuel? Prospect of a sticky injector?

Currently at 257 hours with the last full service at 185 hours.

Not too worried about it, but wanted to get a little info on it just in case it is indication of some future issue.

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #2  
That is kind of out of the ordinary. My 2230 has 408 hrs and other that at start up I haven't seen any black smoke. I really worked it Saturday in some thick grass that I was mowing and bagging. I slowed my ground speed down to mow it but the engine didn't bog nor do I remember any extra smoke.

Maybe just a small slug of diesel got through? Prolly nothing to worry 'bout if its just a one time thing.

Best!

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #3  
I wouldn't worry about it unlrss it repeats, sounds like you got some questionable fuel or possibly transient fuel injector issue. Might try a fuel conditioner/injector cleaner every once in a while.

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #4  
small drop of water. governor automatically compensated so you didnt notice momentary loss in your max available power. Black smoke was a rich shot of fuel as it went WOT.
larry

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #5  
small drop of water. governor automatically compensated so you didnt notice momentary loss in your max available power. Black smoke was a rich shot of fuel as it went WOT.
larry

that kinda makes sense.

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #6  
Could have also been a big piece of soot buildup inside the muffler releasing...

I'd say nothing to worry about unless it starts happening frequently.

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #7  
I can get the black smoke to roll out of my little 15HP Kubota engine in my Cub Cadet if I push it hard in deep grass. Could you have possibly ran over something to load it hard for just a moment? You probably wouldn't have heard it while listening to your tunes. I don't see how a drop of water would have made it to your injectors.

I haven't been able to load the BX2350 enough to get the black smoke to roll out yet.

kj

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230
...possibly ran over something to load it hard for just a moment?
Of course that's possible...though I, like you, have never actually loaded the engine to the point of it lugging or puffing smoke. The grass was right behind my house. It is a very consistent, clean grass with no chunks or weeds. Plus, I didn't hear/feel any variation in the engine's tempo. Sure, I had muffs on and had earbuds in my ear, but you'd have to be on another PLANET to not hear me mow my grass.

And I have, indeed, have had a repeated issue with fuel quality or suspected water in my fuel. I've been running additives and it has helped immensely. But mostly, my problem has been sudden momentary loss of power (like you turn the key off), with the engine getting back up to full speed after a 1/2 second 'pause'. And that has never been accompanied by smoke. Even that hasn't happened for 10 or 15 hours.

I concur with everyone's thoughts...no biggie unless it happens consistently or constantly.

/ Puff of black smoke out of my BX2230 #9  
I second, the slug of bad fuel....

Although I had a whole tank so there was a loss of power and kept blowing black smoke till it was drained and new fuel was run through....