L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #1  

Rice Rider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST 4WD

After spending several days last week-end digging and hauling the tailings to another part of the property, I noticed some dark spots on the gravel leading up the drive. At first light I was up and looking over the tractor along the bottom side for possible leaks with none found. I looked at the sight glass for the hydraulic fluid and it had moist dust on it. Hmmmm, I took off the cover that protects the view glass and found it loose. I could move it either way and it did not get any tighter. I did notice if I pulled with even the slightest pressure on it, I would see fluid seeping by. This is a very bad thing when synthetic fluid cost around $11.00 @ quart. Anyway, I tried to tighten it with my fingers again and it came off slick as a whistle with fluid pouring out of the hole, crap, I plugged it with my thumb while I looked at the cover and it had broken leaving the threaded part screwed into the tractor. I put it back on and wedged it in place with a shop towel and headed into town to order another sight glass and a spare. I don稚 have a clue as to how it would break as it is in an armored location. I would suggest keeping an eye on yours. If that came off without noticing it, I would think it could pose a serious problem to your bank account.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #2  
R.R. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on mine. Good luck removing the threaded piece from your machine.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read
Thanks, I've been thinking the same thing. Is there a saint for tractors? If so, I need to start lighting a candle or saying some Kubota repair prayers. My tractor is out in the woods so I plan on driving it onto a log (on the left side) so all the fluid goes to the other side to work on it.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #4  
Umm where is this "sight glass" located. Does my L3240 have one? Feeling like a moron if it does cause I've never noticed it.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #5  
R.R. I haven't had my 3400 that long but the few bolts and screws that I have removed have been super tight. I'm thinking that your sight glass may have been over tightened and broken on the instillation thats why it came off in your hand. If you could find a large enough easy-out that may work. Otherwise a chisel and hammer used gently to try to remove it could work. If there is any threads sticking out past the the housing you could try to break off a piece and the rest could be easy. Let us know how it goes.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #6  
The sight glass breaking issue is a common one here. I am assuming you have the one made completely of clear plastic. I don't think it is a tightening issue but more of a material issue. The good news is there is an updated part for this which is made much better. Also the threads are 3/4 inch pipe thread is I remember correctly. I replaced mine with a pipe plug until I got the new sight glass. My 3400 was about two years old when I noticed the problem. I took the broken one to my dealer and asked if he would cover it under warranty and he gave me a new one no charge. I keep the plug in the tool box on the tractor just in case.

Terry

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read
I ordered two of the view windows from my local dealer (not having read about your three quarter inch pipe plug). I suppose the pipe plug would be cheaper but I was wandering if the sealing washer will fit on the plug. Also, I was wandering if there is any way to tell if the new improved part from the old style that broke. One thing is for sure, I will be keeping an eye to the floor board from now on while operating.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #8  
Mine went @200 hrs, I also purchased a spare.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #9  
I ordered two of the view windows from my local dealer (not having read about your three quarter inch pipe plug). I suppose the pipe plug would be cheaper but I was wandering if the sealing washer will fit on the plug. Also, I was wandering if there is any way to tell if the new improved part from the old style that broke. One thing is for sure, I will be keeping an eye to the floor board from now on while operating.

The old one was made of clear plastic. The new one is a green or gray (don't remember off hand) plastic with a clear window. If I get a chance I will take a picture of it. I used a PVC plug as a temporary fix and did not even need the washer. That is the plug I keep for a spare.

Terry

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #10  
Mine has been replaced twice first time by the dealer second time by me. The second one was a different design. I would say it broke because it was over torqued or bad design/material. Althought the dealer told me something probably hit it causing it to break I don't believe that is what happened. Replacing the lost fluid cost more than the plug. I put the new one in very carefully/low torque with silicone RTV on the gasget.