HST Transmission Problem in L3130

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #1  

peacefulone

Hey folks. I started up my tractor yesterday and was pulling forward out of the shed. There's a slight incline going out (very slight). I pushed the clutch in to shift from L to M. Becuase of the slight incline, I started to roll a bit (slowly) and before I could get my foot on the brake to stop the forward movement, my wet boot slipped off of the the clutch pedal. I heard a slight sound from the tractor and the forward movement stopped. Obviously, this was expected as I was in low gear. I thought with my wet boot, I better just pull up ahead a little bit and then shift to M. But when I went to push on the HST pedal again, I barely got movement from the tractor.

I gave a little more RPM and the tractor moved, but ever so slightly and the wheels started shaking and the tractor vibrated as I moved forward. There was definately something NOT RIGHT! There was some sound coming from the tractor, but I can't describe it. I was NOT able to get it to go in reverse and to get it going forward at all, I really had to have the RPM's up high. It still wouldn't go backwards and if even when I had the RPM's low, it wouldn't go forward at all. I did check the bucket operation. It was fine. I did shut it off and checked the transmission/hydraulic fluid level and it was full. I was able to get it back in the shed (barely) and left it......very bummed...thinking that I had just created a very expensive huge problem by accident.

I do have the shop manual and have done some more complicated work on the tractor before (such as changing a seal in the front wheel assembly), so I'm not afraid to try things and have a pretty good do it yourselfer attitude, but I'm nowhere close to experienced, and this one scares me.

Anybody have any suggestions for me to check out or try before I call the dealer. I'm afraid that I'll have to bring it in or have them come out and check it out and I'll get into big big bucks that I don't really have right now.

Last edited:
   / HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #2  
Sorry I can't be of any help, except to commiserate over your plight. We have a 3830, which is basically the same thing as far as the HST goes. Were you pushing on the HST pedal at the time? I forget what the operator's manual says, but I never bother to push in the clutch pedal when shifting from low, medium or high, but I stop moving first. I thought that the different ranges had to do with the rear end mechanically, as opposed to the actual HST transmission. Maybe the jolt of your foot slipping off the clutch pedal broke something small but important in the rear end? I'll be watching this post with great interest to find out what it turns out to be. I hope it's not too expensive.

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130
Thanks for the words jimaniac. No, I didn't have my foot on the HST pedal. Just my left foot on the clutch. This is a new machine for me (used, but barely) and I've put on about 75 hours. Total hours on the machine is still only at 300. I've loved it so far, but the tranny has always been a tad jumpy. I may call the local dealership here in Iowa just to get a feel for what could be up. Maybe something was going and my little screw up sent it over the edge!:(

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #4  
You may not be in the range all the way. You need to make sure you are fully in gear on the L M H range selector.

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #5  
That L3130 should never had a jumpy tranny, you obviously had a previous problem that has finally reared it's ugly head.

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #6  
Have you gotten any advice from the dealer yet? When you mentioned that the transmission has been "jumpy", that's troubling. Ours has always been nice and smooth in operation. In what way was it jumpy? I just re-read the operator's manual and you don't have to push in the clutch to shift ranges, but the HST pedal can't be being pushed and the machine must be completely stopped. I wonder if the previous owner abused it in some way.

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130
Thanks for comments fellas. I did check several times to make sure the gear selector was actually in gear rather than being in between. I ran it through several gears using the clutch. I even left it in neutral for a bit for the tranny to possibly settle in and then tried to put it back into a gear. But alas....nothing.

When I say jumpy, I probably mislead people. I sometime step on the HST pedal and it will hesitate a little then kind of jump to move forward. Other than that, it has been very smooth.

I haven't been able to call the local dealership yet. Just too busy, but I'm going to see if I can today to get some advice. By the way, the color of the fluid is very clear. There is no darkness at all, which could possibly indicate excessive wear or heat in there.

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #8  
Don't know if you've found out anything yet, but I just thought of something that you might try as a test. If you have the PTO engaged, you can stop it by pushing in the clutch. Sooo, if the PTO won't run, that would indicate a problem in the clutch.
As far as the hesitation you describe when first stepping on the HST pedal, ours doesn't have any hesitation at all, forward or backward, that I can discern, so I wonder what that might indicate?
For that matter, does anybody else out there experience a hesitation when stepping on the HST pedal?

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #9  
Have you checked the HST oil level? The jumpyness you're talking about sounds like low oil or maybe a clogged filter/ screen (I'm assuming it has one).

/ HST Transmission Problem in L3130 #10  
I hope things work out for you.
My experience with my 3430 which is at 400+hrs is pretty much positive.

I spent a small fortune getting the tranny fluid swapped which I will do myself next time.
I had the dealer do it because of some jumping/slipping? issues when snow plowing last winter.

With rear chains, I would be pushing snow (with a modified fisher QA plow setup) and every so often I would get the sensation of a spinning wheel. (vertically bouncing in my seat) However when I would scan the two rear wheels to see which is spinning, neither would be moving. I checked the fluild levels right off but never found any issues with that.

The dealer did the fluid and filter swap and tested the unit early this summer. They found nothing wrong. I hear a short low growl from time to time when starting to move in either direction in any gear but do not sense any of the jump/slip pushing dirt and other summer activities.

Hopefully in the cold of this coming winter the jump/spin thing will not return.... HOPEFULLY.....

It's all paid for but out of warranty too..... :)