Kubota B6100E PTO gears

/ Kubota B6100E PTO gears #1  

jimmarret

Tractor
Kubota B8200HST
Has anyone out there had this problem. My friend has an older Kubota B6100E 2WD. He recently whupped the PTO gears, tearing all the teeth off the 17 tooth gear. He ordered new ones from Kubota and they are real beautiful, fit on the spline just fine; but are too thick and cannot get the snap ring on. He thought about grinding them down. Kubota has discontinued the original gears and the new gears won't fit without "adjustments". Is this a universal problem or is he the only one that ever wipped out the gears on this type of Kubota? Also, does anyone out there have a salvaged B6100E with good PTO gears?

/ Kubota B6100E PTO gears #2  
It's been a while since I've owned a 6000 and had the transaxle apart (ring gear). Did Kubota tell you there needed to be "adjustments?" If so, they need to give more details about what and how. I don't think grinding is the answer...gears are usually hardened. I'd guess a new shaft with the correctly spaced snap ring groove...

Alternately, you could try locating correct used parts. I got my ring and pinion from West Kentucky Tractor Parts, but I believe there are others. You can search here on TBN for salvage sources, the topic of used 6000 parts comes up every now and then...