Top Link Attach Strength?

/ Top Link Attach Strength? #1  

Ron D.

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L2600DT, F13D Yanmar, Sears garden tractor with MMM, older JD Garden Tractor with MMM, Gravely commercial ZTM
I put about 1,500 lbs on my TSC carryall with a wooden platform yesterday, and was wondering if that may be too much weight/pressure at the top link connection point on the back of the tractor (L2600DT). The forces must be pretty high at that area when you have a lot of weight on something like a carryall. The weight is obviously not lifted by this point, but it seems like there would be an extreme outward-pulling force (pulling it away from the tractor), certainly in excess of the weight you're carrying, since this area is holding the carryall level.

Any thoughts?

/ Top Link Attach Strength? #2  
I would think the front end would rise before the top link would break. Something like a bush hog puts alot weight on the toplink when you raise it off the ground and with alot of leverage too because it's so far behind the tractor.

/ Top Link Attach Strength? #3  
I think it could reach critical load/failure if you transport that weight over rough terrain and let it bounce some.
I maxed out my 3ph capacity while pulling out old fence posts but nothing broke. The load in that case increases gradually and there is no chance of bouncing let alone taking off with the tractor.

The few times I have read about failure of the top link attachment point were when people used 3ph attached backhoes.

/ Top Link Attach Strength?
Good replies, thanks. I know the lower lift arms wouldn't be close to being overloaded, but 1500 lbs. beginning at the end of the lower arms and going back an additional four feet, just makes me wonder how much stress it puts on the top link point of connection. I went to the TSC website to see what a six foot cutter weights, but they don't show the weight. I guess you would have to assume that the connection point at the tractor would be much stronger than the connection point on a $119 carryall frame from TSC. It's probably a non-issue, but was curious if anyone else was concerned about this. Guess I'll find something else to worry about.

I agree that 3 point backhoes are really problematic without a subframe connector. That's real stress.