BX2230 Running Issue

/ BX2230 Running Issue #1  

Billy_S

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, JD 400, AC 190XT
Let me describe my problem and see if any of you good people have any suggestions.

After the tractor is very warm, for example, mowing for an hour, it will sort of stall. Sometimes, in fact, it does actually die, but usually, it acts like you turn the key off then quickly back on again. Generally, it almost dies but then it comes out of it without intervention on my part. It seems to happen most commonly when at full throttle and under some load. My hunch is the problem is fuel related.

The dealer I purchased the tractor from has gone out of business. Closest dealer is so new that the mechanics haven't been to Kubota school yet. This, no doubt, compounds the problem. I have had the tractor in to them twice. Once, they replaced the fuel shut off solenoid, I think it was. The second time, they replaced both fuel filters. The tractor was in the shop for about a week both times.

Although the dealer seems to want to resolve the problem, I am getting a little frustrated. I have spent $300 and had my tractor tied up for 2 weeks and I still have the problem.

Any idea where to suggest they look? FWIW, the tractor is about 3 years old with 450 hours.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #2  
I had the same problems with my BX2200 and solved it by adding fuel conditioner and HEET ESO. I sold it to my son in law and it does OK unless you run into some bad fuel. My BX2660 does not seem to be as sensitive for some reason.

/ BX2230 Running Issue
I always add Power Service. When it is not acting up, there is absolutely no other issue with it. IOW, most of the time it runs just fine.

EDIT: It seems to me if it was a fuel quality issue, the problem would be evident more frequently.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #4  
Just a guess on my part but could it be the fuel lift pump, or whatever it's called. It looks like a fuel filter, but it pumps the fuel just enough to get to the main fuel injection pump.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #5  
I always add Power Service. When it is not acting up, there is absolutely no other issue with it. IOW, most of the time it runs just fine.

EDIT: It seems to me if it was a fuel quality issue, the problem would be evident more frequently.

You could say the same thing about a mechanical issue too. Unfortunately these intermittent issue are really hard to diagnose. All I know is that fuel conditioner did not do it alone and had to use HEET ESO to eliminate the water as it is often an issue of storage as opposed to poor fuel coming out of the pump. Mine did the same as you describe and I never could understand why the symptoms only manifested themselves while at full or almost full power. Sometimes it would just miss a beat and others it would stumble really badly or die only to start back up and run fine for a while again. One a couple of occasions it wouldn't run more than a couple of minutes without acting up, but mostly it was more intermittent.

I am far from being a mechanic, so I may be way off base on the problem.

/ BX2230 Running Issue
I can certainly try some Heet. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the response.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #7  
I can certainly try some Heet. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the response.

Be sure to get the HEET that is diesel compatable; should be in a yellow bottle as opposed to the usual red. I don't know what the difference is, but I was told there was.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #8  
You said that its like the key is turned off then turn back on, kind of like a jump out of the seat and it tries to shut off then goes back to the set rpm. I know its weird that it does it when it is at operating temp but, do you think it could be faulty wiring on one of the safety devices.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #9  
It could be a buncha things. Hard to even guess unless other symptoms show or it dies altogether.

Intermittent problems magically heal in the presence of an open toolbox. :)

No harm in cleaning up or supplementing fuel quality, never a bad thing.

/ BX2230 Running Issue #10  
try to blow air from bottom of tank before it goes into the first filter. There was a BX on this TBN with simalar issues and the problem was a leaf blocking the fuel and ever now and then it would stutter then run normal.