Backhoe New Backhoe Teeth?

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #1  

Rice Rider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST 4WD
I've had my BH76 Backhoe for almost three months and the teeth are worn down considerably due to the tremendous amount of rocks that are embedded in soil on my mountain property. It might be better to say that there is soil embedded in the rocks and some of you can truly understand this dilemma. I am considering two options. One option is to simply replace the teeth and the other would be to remove the teeth and have them built up by welding like most professionals do with their equipment. I have yet to price the new teeth but I was debating the cost and the convenience factor. It seems like you would have to use quite a few welding rods to build the individual teeth back up and I am assuming that you would want to use a higher grade rod than let's say an E6011 or a E6013. Later this summer I will have my shop built but I still don't own a welder although it is on my list. What is the TBN opinion on the cost benefit factor?

Last edited:
   / New Backhoe Teeth? #2  
I'm assuming these are the one piece bolt on teeth from Kubota. I think they're fairly expensive. You can build them up pretty easily. If you cap with a hardfacing rod, they'll last much longer than a new set.

/ New Backhoe Teeth?
Does an E7018 electrode do the trick? I looked a Tractor Supply and they only list the numbers and general application information. The 7018's have the highest tensile strength they carry.

/ New Backhoe Teeth? #4  
Almost any electrode will work for building the tooth back up. 7018 is not a hard metal. It's a "Low Hydrogen" rod used in certain higher strength applications where the weld is susceptable to hydrogen embrittlement. The tensile strength really doesn't reflect abrasion and impact resistance. You can build it up with regular rod like 6013, 7018 or whatever's handy and it will last about as long as the tooth originally did. After you build it back up, you can cap it with one of the hardfacing rods available at a welding supply shop and extend the life of the tooth greatly. You can search for hardfacing and you'll find all kinds of info on how to apply it.