Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230

/ Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230 #1  

HarleyScooter

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ BX2230
I thought I would share what I went through to put a loader on my 2004 BX2230. I allready have the front blade and a 4 way hyd valve, I wanted to use my existing valve on this project. I went looking for a FEL thinking I could put a LA243 on my tractor, and I found out that Kubota changed the loader frame mount bolt pattern on the LA243 loader and I was told they quit making the LA211 a few years ago. So I had two dealers try to find a LA211 without a valve. Both dealers told me there were none avaliable. I researched a little and found the Woods LS72 was avaliable with out the valve and hyd kit. I ordered one from my Kubota dealer. Here are a few pictures of the mount I made to hold my Kubota valve to the Woods loader frame mount. First picture is the valve on the Kubota mount. which I had to cut apart.

Attachments

• 4 way valve 3.jpg
    4 way valve 3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 618
  • Valve stand.jpg
    Valve stand.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 353
  • Valve stand 1.jpg
    Valve stand 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 391
  • Valve stand 3.jpg
    Valve stand 3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 450
   / Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230
I had some time while I was waiting on the loader to come in, I saw some pictures of the John Deere ballast box so I made one for the Kubota. The steel was about 125 lbs and I put three 80 lb. bags of cement in it. The box is only half full at 365 lbs. I will add sand or steel if I need more weight so I can remove it if not needed.

Attachments

• Weight box 5.jpg
    Weight box 5.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Weight box 2.jpg
    Weight box 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 152
  • Weight box 3.jpg
    Weight box 3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Weight box 1.jpg
    Weight box 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 133
Next I wanted to put 45 degree street elbows on my valve output ports for a better angle on the hoses, so when those came in I went to remove the male half of the hyd coupler from the #8 sae o-ring to 1/4" male pipe thread adapter on the valve and they were so tight one twisted and three broke of completely. I changed all four adapters and three coupler halves. I saw a lot of threads about bucket hooks so I thought I would put some of those on too. But I thought a reinforcement plate under the hooks would be a good idea, so I made a templete and I took that to our local fab shop for them to break a piece for me, and I also added a 1/4" X 2 " flat bar to the front sides of the bucket.

Attachments

• Bucket 2.jpg
    Bucket 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Bucket.jpg
    Bucket.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Bucket 4.jpg
    Bucket 4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Bucket 5.jpg
    Bucket 5.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Bucket 8.jpg
    Bucket 8.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Bucket 9.jpg
    Bucket 9.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Bucket 7.jpg
    Bucket 7.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 209
I measured what I needed for hoses and had them made, after everything was hooked up and cycled a few times I refilled the hyd oil in the tractor, took some pictures and started to haul wood. I also added a picture of the FEl the way I brought it home. Now I have some sketches for brush forks, a tooth bar, and I was thinking about building a grapple too.
Scott

Attachments

• Woods1.jpg
    Woods1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 409
  • loader & weight box 1.jpg
    loader & weight box 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 614
  • loader & weight box 2.jpg
    loader & weight box 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 219
  • loader & weight box 3.jpg
    loader & weight box 3.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Loader.jpg
    Loader.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 273
   / Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230 #5  
That was a fantastic set of pics and descriptions! I am having the same problems finding a loader for my 2230.

Thanks for the info and such!

/ Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230 #6  
That's some good-looking work. Do you have a way to make sure the hitch on the back of the ballast box is even with the drawbar, or do you just line it up by eye?

/ Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230 #7  
That's some good-looking work. Do you have a way to make sure the hitch on the back of the ballast box isn't higher than the drawbar, or do you just line it up by eye?

/ Putting a FEL on a 5 year old BX2230 #8  
WOW.

Pain that Bota didn't have a factory loader, but dooooooood, you are one heckuva meticulous fabricator.

Wish you lived in my neighborhood :eek:

That's some good-looking work. Do you have a way to make sure the hitch on the back of the ballast box isn't higher than the drawbar, or do you just line it up by eye?

I don't think I will be towing much with the hitch. My thought was for someplace to hook to if I get stuck. My daughter and her husband have a small shallow pond that turns to muck this time of year, and they would like it dug out deeper. I figure at some point I will get to brave or careless and get stuck? I made a three point hitch that I use to tow stuff around, it has worked good so far even when the 6-1/2' X 12' trailer had so much wood on it that the tractor front tires were just bouncing on the ground.

Attachments

• hitch 5.jpg
    hitch 5.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 169
  • hitch 2.jpg
    hitch 2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 3 point hitch.jpg
    3 point hitch.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 242
WOW.

Pain that Bota didn't have a factory loader, but dooooooood, you are one heckuva meticulous fabricator.

Wish you lived in my neighborhood :eek:

Thanks for the good words. I was a fabricator/ certified welder for 30 years and building stuff now is just a relaxing hobby. I have a good friend with a JD2305 and I have built a lot of stuff for him too. He kept hitting the trees with his ROP'S when he mowed and he wanted it to fold down, and his atv sprayer needed converted over to a three point mount. I just do little stuff like that.

Attachments

• Rop's3.jpg
    Rop's3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Rop's10.jpg
    Rop's10.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Rop's15.jpg
    Rop's15.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Rop's18.jpg
    Rop's18.jpg