BX24 HST fan replacement

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #1  

kchear1

OK, this is a continuation of my post of me tearing up the fan by driving over a twig after about a year of use (I guess you can say that I got a little comfortable with it and forgot to pursue the skid plate addition). I did ask the dealer about any kid of protection for that fan back when I bought it, and he stated that he hadn't heard of any problems with that fan nor any kind of protector for it. Needless, when I called him this time, he did say Kubota came up with a little protector that blocks anything that comes directly up at the fan.

Reading the forums, I read that some were able to slice the fan and wiggle it;s way around the shaft and secure it. I took a look at my set up and it appears that the fan is bolted onto the mounting stump on the shaft by bolts from the back side of the fan. This would make it very difficult to access even if I could get the new fan around it. Can that be moved/slid in any manner?

Dealer quoted 4.5 hours x $75 an hour plus the cost of the $7 fan. Has anyone ever gotten Kubota to replace it under warranty?

/ BX24 HST fan replacement
Here's a picture of it...this is not my tractor but one I found on the topic of the skid plate...however it is the same setup...As you can see, there are cooling fins on the HST block that should also be kept clean (i.e. more justification for some type of skid plate).

Attachments

• kubota fan protector 4.JPG
    kubota fan protector 4.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,480
   / BX24 HST fan replacement #3  
I did ask the dealer about any kid of protection for that fan back when I bought it, and he stated that he hadn't heard of any problems with that fan nor any kind of protector for it.

I don't think I'd trust that dealer. Seems like a very, very common problem.

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #4  
I still think i would section the shaft when I have to replace mine.

Cut shaft with sawzall have shop machine both half's for rigid shaft coupling

put both half's back in with new fan and rigid coupling. next time it will only take 1/2 hour.

tom

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #6  
Here's a picture of it...this is not my tractor but one I found on the topic of the skid plate...however it is the same setup...As you can see, there are cooling fins on the HST block that should also be kept clean (i.e. more justification for some type of skid plate).

Is that a truck brake drum mounted on the left axle in your picture? If so, that would be a neat way to add weight. But how is it mounted???

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #7  
I don't think I'd trust that dealer. Seems like a very, very common problem.

In defense of dealer, it's not all that common. But it is such a PitA to replace (and made worse on the BX24), you see complaints here a lot. This site is huge with Bota drivers and the vast preponderance of them have not broken a fan (yet).

So for a dealer it might seem relatively rare.

Very, very common would be broken air cleaner brackets on the BX23.

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #8  
I still think i would section the shaft when I have to replace mine.

Cut shaft with sawzall have shop machine both half's for rigid shaft coupling

put both half's back in with new fan and rigid coupling. next time it will only take 1/2 hour.

tom

You are a MUCH braver man than I. (sorta division by zero)

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #9  
Replaced mine once, have been using a skid plate ever since when the MMM is off, over 5 yrs. now, can't see a reason to have to do it again unless I leave the plate off.

/ BX24 HST fan replacement #10  
I am in the process of putting my tractor back together after ruining my fan last week. I cut the fan in half and tried to put it back in, but just couldnt get the second bolt in the second section. I had to remove the fenders and floor deck which also means you have to remove the ROPS as well.

I got the fan bolted in and epoxyed the cuts as well to make it a little stronger still. Still a real PIA job, but at least I didnt have to unbolt the motor, move it forward, etc.

I am making a skid plate tomorrow, I just cant justify 180 bucks for something I can make myself.