changing HST fluid

/ changing HST fluid #1  

bstrom

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota b2620
Well I am going to change my HST fluid and filter on my B2620 this weekend at almost 100 hrs after reading the thread about the Kubota manual screwup telling you not to change it after 50hrs.

I'm new to this - where is this screen everyone is talking about? I just see a filter and drainplugs in the manual but apparently the manual is not to be trusted that much.

/ changing HST fluid #3  
Well I am going to change my HST fluid and filter on my B2620 this weekend at almost 100 hrs after reading the thread about the Kubota manual screwup telling you not to change it after 50hrs.

I'm new to this - where is this screen everyone is talking about? I just see a filter and drainplugs in the manual but apparently the manual is not to be trusted that much.

A big bolt (forget the size) between the tranny and the left wheel. Has an o-ring, so watch that...Clean it out with carb or brake cleaner and allow to dry..Then replace. Make sure the o-ring isn't dry when re-installing.

/ changing HST fluid
Thanks guys.

/ changing HST fluid #5  
I don't believe the 2620 has a screen.

/ changing HST fluid
Yeah, I never found a screen. 3 drain-plugs on the transmission, 2 on the front axle. For those attempting it for the first time you really need an offset funnel or one with a tube at least to get the SUDT back in there or you will have a mess. It takes around 5 gallons to do the trans and front end.

My b2620 had 98 hours on it. The stuff was as clean as a whistle, if there were metal filings, boy I sure didn't see any. My personal and unprofessional opinion? A waste of time, money and resources. Just change the filters until 400 hours. Just my take on it. I think Kubota said 400 hours because people were complaining about the expense. I don't think it was a mistake they made it 400 hours but thats just my theory you make up your own. I think it cost me around 120 bucks with the filters and plastic offset funnel. Receipt must be in the truck

/ changing HST fluid #7  
Yeah, I never found a screen. 3 drain-plugs on the transmission, 2 on the front axle. For those attempting it for the first time you really need an offset funnel or one with a tube at least to get the SUDT back in there or you will have a mess. It takes around 5 gallons to do the trans and front end.

My b2620 had 98 hours on it. The stuff was as clean as a whistle, if there were metal filings, boy I sure didn't see any. My personal and unprofessional opinion? A waste of time, money and resources. Just change the filters until 400 hours. Just my take on it. I think Kubota said 400 hours because people were complaining about the expense. I don't think it was a mistake they made it 400 hours but thats just my theory you make up your own. I think it cost me around 120 bucks with the filters and plastic offset funnel. Receipt must be in the truck

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion on it. It's certainly not the money.

/ changing HST fluid
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion on it. It's certainly not the money.

Well, I guess I was thinking if you add the 120 bucks to the cost of the parts for the free labor 50 hr maintenance that dealers offer, people might scream after they are already making a tractor payment. I'm thinking it's probably overkill anyway, I know it's not exactly the same thing but heck my truck transmission gets flushed every 30k, that's a lot of hours. After reading some of the posts on here I was expecting to find big chunks of metal lying in the drain pan.:) Maybe some people don't figure out what the clutch is for until after 50 hours;)

/ changing HST fluid #9  
Well, I guess I was thinking if you add the 120 bucks to the cost of the parts for the free labor 50 hr maintenance that dealers offer, people might scream after they are already making a tractor payment. I'm thinking it's probably overkill anyway, I know it's not exactly the same thing but heck my truck transmission gets flushed every 30k, that's a lot of hours. After reading some of the posts on here I was expecting to find big chunks of metal lying in the drain pan.:) Maybe some people don't figure out what the clutch is for until after 50 hours;)

Mine's hydro, found shavings in the fluid and screen at 50 hrs. Just for giggles, I did it again at 100 and perfectly clean. So for me it was worth it.

Gear tractors may behave differently in this mainenance, don't know.

/ changing HST fluid #10  

Doesn't get much better than this.

Kubota BX Service

The B7800 has a strainer screen and the fastener head is 26mm in size.