BX2200 Differential lock

/ BX2200 Differential lock #1  

okie350

Silver Member
Tractor
L3010 & BX2200
BX2200 with 550hrs. Got in a wierd angle while mowing my ditch this week end and needed the rear wheels to lock. pushed the Diff lock peddle (seemed rather soft) but the other wheel did not lock in.

I can see where the linkage runs to and everything seems to be connected fine, is there an adjustment and how do ya do it?

/ BX2200 Differential lock #2  
soft ? that is odd. I am not aware of any adjustment, let alone have any problems. Have you used it before with no problems ? Usually with me, if it doesnt kick in right away, i just keep my foot on diff lock and hold it while creeping forward and then it would drop down into a lock. Is this how you do it too ?

Last edited:
   / BX2200 Differential lock #3  
There has to be a little differential movement between the wheels for it to engage. It's a dog clutch.

/ BX2200 Differential lock
The angle I was in put one front wheel off the ground and one rear wheel off the ground, so the the rear that was lifted was spinning. I tried to lock the differential so the rear wheel still on the ground would push me forward. No go, so just put it in 4X4 and walked up the ditch.

When I say the peadle was soft I mean it pushes in very easily, normally there seams to be more resistance, and yes I have used the Diff lock many times, maybe it was because I wasnt moving and had a wheel off the ground??????

/ BX2200 Differential lock #5  
When I say the peadle was soft I mean it pushes in very easily, normally there seams to be more resistance, and yes I have used the Diff lock many times, maybe it was because I wasnt moving and had a wheel off the ground??????

Look under the deck at what the pedal pushes on. It is a piece of flat spring steel. You push the pedal to the stop and the spring tries to rotate the input shaft until the dogs engage.

/ BX2200 Differential lock #6  
okie- I didnt know you used it before- just mrely trying to eliminate the possiblities before we figure it out. This is the first diff lock issue I ever heard of on the BX's. hopefully rdsaustintx advice would help to figure it out. let us know. I am curious too.;)

/ BX2200 Differential lock
okie- I didnt know you used it before- just mrely trying to eliminate the possiblities before we figure it out. ;)

Radioman, If I came off like a smart *** it wasn't my intent., I appoligize:eek:

The linkage is rotating an offset piece of linkage(looks lihe a 1" pipe beveled at a 30 degree angle. maybe it is not rotating enough. not sure what the next step may be:confused:

Any Ideas????

/ BX2200 Differential lock #8  
I am gonna look at my BX tonight and see how it kinda works on mine. Have you tried it since then to see if it still does it ? (BTW no worries about previous post.;) )

/ BX2200 Differential lock #9  
It is possible that since one wheel wasn't turning at all that the lock couldn't engage both axles. Normally when a tire is slipping, the other is still turning so the diff lock can find it's spot on both axle shafts.