B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #1  

twodogs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have had my B7800 for 4 years and a day as of today (8/3/09)! Last week, while cutting my yard, my tractor dropped to the ground and my right front wheel kept on going! I was amazed, disappointed, and pissed off - all at once! I got off the tractor & was shocked to see the axle hub snapped! I attached a few photos of the damage to share with you folks. I called my dealer (Golden Eagle in PA) & the first thing he asked was if I was injured. He was great with me on the phone & assured me that things would be taken care of. He sent a truck out to pick it up & check things out.

When he got the tractor to his shop he also pulled the left front wheel & noticed that that hub was cracked too. He stated that you could tell the crack was old on the right wheel from the rust on the crack. He had a factory rep come in to evaluate it. The reps first response was that it was out of warranty & nothing would be covered. He then agreed to cover parts only.

I spoke with the Kubota rep (Jeff Svec) today who seemed troubled by my call. He didn't understand why I expected anything more than Kubota covering the parts since it was out of warranty by "more than a year". I explained that I wasn't complaining about a burnt bulb or a mower belt - the AXLE BROKE! I guess I am a little odd in the fact that I expect the axle of the tractor to last a bit longer than 4 years - especially since the axle had been cracked for some time according to the dealer. Needless to say I am a little disappointed when I consider that I also own a $1,000 Craftsman tractor that is 5 years old & I have had no major issues with it. Again, I expect a bit more from an $18,000 piece of machinery. Maybe I should have held on to the 50 + year old Farmall & Ford 8N tractors that I had. They managed to last that long without breaking.

I then spoke with Jim Carroll (fantastic demeanor & very professional) who stated the same - parts, but I have to pay labor. He agreed that the issue didn't come from abuse, otherwise Kubota wouldn't agree to pay anything. I don't agree with his decision, but I give him high praise for how he does his job. I asked him to split the labor costs, which he denied.

Am I nuts? Again - I know I am out of warranty, bt I consider the following:

- invest 18K for tractor, loader, mower
- tractor maintained & NOT ABUSED - admitted by dealer & rep
- major malfunction in drivetrain - broken axle hub on one side & cracked on the other
- dealer stated the cracks have been there for quite some time

The labor cost is going to be over $500.

I put it to you folks - do I expect too much?

Attachments

• DSC03358.jpg
    DSC03358.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 1,078
  • DSC03371.jpg
    DSC03371.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 926
   / B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #2  
It sounds like a situation where the dealer of manufacturer is not responsible to do anything.. It's just a bit of bad luck on your part!
I'd say that in paying for parts, Kubota is being pretty fair.. You get out of it at a cost of $500... I'd pony up and count my blessings.
It's an imperfect world.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #3  
Never seen this before. It must have been a bad casting which isn't typical of Kubota.

Is it right or wrong? I don't know. They didn't even need to give you the parts I suppose so it's really a win in my book.

I understand your frustration as I'd be upset too even if it was 8 years old. They should be built robust with a safety factor way higher than normal use could give it.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #4  
I think Kubota was fair...just my thought though....

Deano

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours
Thanks for the input guys. I guess that I expect too much from the company.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #6  
Thanks for the input guys. I guess that I expect too much from the company.

I have seen that failure a few times when I worked for a rental outfit. Heavy FEL work on rough terain with inadequete rear ballast will overload the front axle. Landscape people could tear up a tractor real quick:(

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours
I have seen that failure a few times when I worked for a rental outfit. Heavy FEL work on rough terain with inadequete rear ballast will overload the front axle. Landscape people could tear up a tractor real quick:(

Thanks Kevin-

I don't think I would be as upset/disappointed if I did work on this tractor like a landscaper. The rear tires were filled by my dealership when I bought it new, so I don't consider the rear ballast inadequate. As stated, I have 441 hours on it, and most of it was spent cutting my yard or fields. I am as disappointed in the response from the company as I am in the product failure. I know that they probably don't have to do anything legally since it is out of warranty, but I still believe that the right thing for the company to do is cover the entire repair. When I bought this tractor I never anticipated a major issue at such an early date. Again, maybe I expect too much.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #8  
I think they were more than fair. Stinks, yes, but same thing happens with my fleet vehicles, we burn through the mileage fast (40-50K) in a year or so, so while something may have been wrong or marginal from the beginning, if it breaks we're SOL irregardless, and I'm talking 40-50K upfit trucks.

I'd be happy they're covering parts, even though in theory, it should be more.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #9  
Thanks Kevin-

I don't think I would be as upset/disappointed if I did work on this tractor like a landscaper. The rear tires were filled by my dealership when I bought it new, so I don't consider the rear ballast inadequate. As stated, I have 441 hours on it, and most of it was spent cutting my yard or fields. I am as disappointed in the response from the company as I am in the product failure. I know that they probably don't have to do anything legally since it is out of warranty, but I still believe that the right thing for the company to do is cover the entire repair. When I bought this tractor I never anticipated a major issue at such an early date. Again, maybe I expect too much.

Even field mowing can be rough on the front if the field is not smooth or the travel is too fast. Tractors do not have springs and if the front tires are up to pressure for loader work the shock has to go somewhere. Just putting out some thoughts.....

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #10  
I have to agree with those who said Kubota was fair. I believe you are RIGHT to expect it to last the lifetime of the tractor, but Kubota paying for parts was pretty fair. Afterall........ they could have said you were paying full boat. I know it doesn't completely remove the sting......... but it stings less this way.