L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #21  
I figure that since I am doing the clutch depressing and PTO disengagement at the same time I'm not particularly not following the manual. It is impossible to do it at exactly the same time. In my case I typically hear a click or two - at most. This way I save the cams.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #22  
This is what my manual says:

PTO shifting needs clutch operation. Press the clutch pedal down completely to stop the tractor movement and any PTO driven equipment movement before shifting the PTO gear shift lever.

It could be more clear but I've always interpreted it to mean don't shift the leaver till the PTO and the implements moving parts have completely stopped moving. Not that I agree, it seems pretty reasonable to assume every one of those little clicks from the ratchet sound is slowly wearing down the cams.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #23  
This is what my manual says:

PTO shifting needs clutch operation. Press the clutch pedal down completely to stop the tractor movement and any PTO driven equipment movement before shifting the PTO gear shift lever.

Just be sure to use the clutch when engaging the PTO. In that case the manual is correct. I'm sure everyone knows that anyway:)

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #24  
I don't discount the tiller theory but mine was always that 8226hamer's problems may have been a result of poor or partial engagement as a result of this prolific cable complication.

It's a tough guess because I can't recall another PTO failure since, lots of people use tillers, lots of people have sticking cables. Maybe he just got a lemon.

What may have happened is that the PTO cable was not adjusted properly and the clutch was not engaged all the way. I could see how a tiller could casue chatter if the ground was hard. Chatter and a mis-adjusted cable could be real bad I suppose.

I did check my cable adjustment shortly after I got my tractor over 3 years ago. Have not checked it since.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #25  
Below is a previous post I made on my experiences with the PTO on my 3400. Hope it helps some. I have used a tiller on mine on some very hard ground with no issues. I believe the PTO failure posted about on this site was a result of an improperly adjusted cable based on the pictures posted of the cams. If anyone has a shop manual for a 2800 or 3400, please check to see if there is a PTO cable adjustment procedure. Thanks.

Terry

I will share my experience with the PTO not shutting off with everyone. I saw the cable on mine kinking and lubed it with one of the motorcycle cable lubers, which by the way works very well on the cable. Just had to loosen the seat belt mount and swivel it out of the way, engage the PTO lever to allow enough room on the cable to install the luber, pull the rubber boot back, and spray the lube in. Forces the lube through the cable in about a second. However, the cable was not the problem. The PTO still would not shut off. I disconnected the cable at the transmission and operated the cable and it moved with no resistance. I then manually operated the lever on the side of the transmission without the cable installed and noticed that it was slow to return to its disengaged position. I don't know if the spring on it is weak or if there is some internal resistance on it, but it just gradually returned to the disengaged position. So what was happening when I disengaged the PTO with the cable was the cable was trying to push the lever at the transmission which was causing it to kink up top. When that happened, the lever at the bottom could not pull the cable. Now when I disengage the PTO instead of forcing the lever up top to the off position, I move it slowly and give the lever at the transmission time to pull the cable. I hope this made sense.

Terry