L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #1  

philipb

Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST Cub Cadet GT2544
All of a sudden, the shift lever won't disengage the pto. In either position, it just keeps on running. Any ideas before I take it off and lose a few parts?

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #2  
The cable get corroded and won't let it engage.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #3  
Same thing happened to my a couple of yrs ago. Research pointed to clip on end of cable inside main housing. Estimated repair $2500.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #4  
   / L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #5  
My L2800 is about two years old and had this problem. There was a factory recall on the cable and my dealer replaced it free. Check with your dealer and if he does not know of it shoot me a PM and I will give you the name of my dealer and service manager.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #6  
My L2800 is about two years old and had this problem. There was a factory recall on the cable and my dealer replaced it free. Check with your dealer and if he does not know of it shoot me a PM and I will give you the name of my dealer and service manager.

I had mine replaced twice under warranty, the last time it included a new bracket that was supposed to help this, but the other day it was sticking again. My tractor is no longer in warranty so I took a syringe and needle and injected a little engine oil in into the top rubber boot now it works fine again. The sticking cable can end up tearing up your gears inside the transmission if it only partialy engages. It is a poor design but I looked at some new Grand Ls and they had a cable setup too.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #7  
Most of you guys are lucky. Mine still sticks after I got the bracket and cable replaced, because it's not the bracket or the cable.

The lever on the transmission housing is stiff and I just don't see an easy way to deal with it, so I find my self under the tractor shutting it off by hand and every time I need it to stop. Problem is, I'm a bit safety conscious so I usually have to shut the machine down too. It's a real nuisance.

Good luck philipb, hope you just need a little lubrication.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #8  
Most of you guys are lucky. Mine still sticks after I got the bracket and cable replaced, because it's not the bracket or the cable.

The lever on the transmission housing is stiff and I just don't see an easy way to deal with it, so I find my self under the tractor shutting it off by hand and every time I need it to stop. Problem is, I'm a bit safety conscious so I usually have to shut the machine down too. It's a real nuisance.

Good luck philipb, hope you just need a little lubrication.

I wonder if it had a stiffer spring on it if that would help.

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #9  
So would it be possible to just add a lever and do away with the cable?

/ L2800 HST PTO shift lever problem #10  
Great thought, that just might help with the sticking cable too!

Might take some research, not sure how/where to get one that would be a perfect fit, mine needs another 4 lbs of pressure based on my sense of applied force and a small scale. 5 lbs. would be a sure bet. Seems reasonable.

Anyone know a spring resource?