Grading Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24?

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #1  

acohen100

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
TSC has a 10% off sale and this weekend is Tax-free in VT. Perfect time to buy an implement, or so I thought. I really need a box blade but none of the stores around me has a 4'. I could get the 5' for $499-16.5% off = $416. Not sure if a BX24 will pull it though.

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #2  
Check your owners manual. I know my M5040 shows having a limit of 6 ft.

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #3  
Have you tried looking on Craigslist for a used one around your area? Manual says 48" max but when I bought one from Kubota, it was actually a 42" that they said was specifically made for a BX24. I would think it can handle a 5 ft, but it may be from a safety standpoint since it would be wider than the tractor foot print.

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #4  
I have a 5' KK box blade behind a BX22. I can use it to move some of the hard clay I have around here, but once it fills up AND digs, the tractor will sit and spin (but this is somewhat avoidable it you take thin cuts, it just takes longer). If I unload it and go back to the place I left off it's ok again until it fills.

But if I'm just leveling (front blade tilted up to catch the high spots, rear blade to smooth the low spots), it works really well.

Overall, I'd prefer a smaller box blade but like I said, my experience is in some pretty tough clay. Your performance in other soils will vary based on that soil.

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #5  
nope.

I think it'll be like an anchor back there. My 3030 barely moves a 5 footer. I bet you'd get much more done with a smaller one.

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #6  
I agree with jnjpream. The smaller one will allow you to do more in anything aother than loose dirt. I have a four foot one and it can be rough in roots and hard clay.
Now, my landscape rake is a 6 foot and my BX 24 pulls it just fine.

Deano

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #7  
I pull a 5' box blade behind my BX23 up and down my 1,000' dirt/gravel driveway...Sometimes I put the scarfiers in (4 total) to begin with to loosen things up...Has worked very well for that application...I have my FEL and MMM on so weight wise it's a little more stout than just the tractor...Of course I use 4 wheel drive.

Don

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #8  
Of course it depends on the conditions your gonna use it in but I bet you could pull it. You might have to be conservative on depth in hard ground, but in loose dirt or a driveway I bet it would be ok......A 5 footer without any weight and set on a relativelly shallow angle isn't too hard to pull.

/ Think that I could pull a 5' Box Blade with a BX24? #9  
Box blades are great. I have a 4 foot model and use it all the time with my BX2350. It can do some significant work, but fully loaded or with scarifiers down it's not very hard to bog down. While a five footer might do some lighter work for you, I have to recommend holding out for a four footer. Best of luck with whatever you decide.