Snow Snow removal with a BX 25

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #1  

Drumlne07

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Winter is fast approaching and I wanted a some opinions. How is the snow blower for the BX 25? If it isn't any good is it worth getting the front blade instead? Finally should I just use the FEL? I've seen a guy that used his to plow and the bucket was all bent out of shape.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #2  
I'm answering partly because I'm also in Mass, and am guessing we get similar snow depths and types.
A snowblower is a "good thing". I removed snow for three years with my BX1500 with a back blade and the FEL. It worked - quite well actually.
Two years ago, I bought a rear blower, and it has been a huge improvement.
The advanatge of the rear blower is that you can keep the FEL on, and use the two implements together - like when blowing out to the road, I can then use the FEL to take a couple of scoops around the mailbox, then go back to using the blower.

The disadvantage of the rear blower is that, well, it's on the rear. This means sitting sideways for a long period. I don't find this too difficult. Others find it quite painful.

Rear blowers are cheaper than front ones, but they aren't cheap.

You'll want at least rear work lights - it's always dark when you're clearing snow.
And have spare shear pins on hand.
And, if you get a blower, you will eat some snow, so think about various hats, goggles, etc. Some people use heated snowmobile helmets.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #3  
I've used my FEL for snow removal on ~1/2 mile of paved driveway for the past 4 winters. Works OK. Heck of a lot better than a shovel!!! I'd like it to work better, but have never committed the money to it. Of course, I ordinarily only plow between 4 and 6 inches. Haven't gotten more than 12" of total snow since I got my tractor.

If I had more of a need, I'd probably get a rear mounted blower. If I got weekly dumps, I'd get a front mounted blower.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #4  
Personally, I like using the bucket. I had the rear blade on last winter and used it turned around backwards while driving forward for small amounts. I live on a dirt road so the blade tends to dig in if used as intended. Only problem with the blade is it takes more room to turn than with the BH on.

I couldn't stand turning halfway around to run the rear mounted blower.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #5  
I have been using the blade with Hydraulic angle for years and feel that it is the best way to go for me, I have a large area to clear with many turn outs. Very fast and efficient. I have always wanted to also have the snow blower for the real deep ones, but the extra funds never seem to be there. I seem to get by when I have to deal with excessive snow by putting the loader back on and move the offending snow bank. As a point of interest, the snow blade has a replaceable edge that the loader doesn't. My snow blade shows alot of wear that I wouldn't want to see on my FEL.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #6  
I had a 72 rear snowblower on my L3130 and I did not care for it at all. It was hard to get around buildings. The good part was having the loader on the tractor for drift busting and corners. Last year I got a BX2360 with front snowblower. This works much nicer than the rear blower. Had to use the 3130 on at least 4 or 5 times when snow drifted bad. As much as I disliked the rear mount without my other tractor and loader to use in emergencys I would have to use one.With wind and drifting snow here in Wisconsin piling snow with loader would be a real problem. I feel I could not be without a blower to clear it away.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #7  
Winter is fast approaching and I wanted a some opinions. How is the snow blower for the BX 25? If it isn't any good is it worth getting the front blade instead? Finally should I just use the FEL? I've seen a guy that used his to plow and the bucket was all bent out of shape.

Fast approaching? One 52 degree morning and you think winter is about here? I hope you're wrong. I don't want to see snow for a few more months.

The front blower is supposedly very good but it is pretty expensive so I've resisted. Depending on your driveway, the front blade is a good option. Depending on how wet and heavy, you may have to get out there a few times to stay ahead. FEL is a bad idea. If you try to "plow" with it, you'll not only mess up the bucket but probably the hydraulics too. And trying to scoop up snow into the bucket and dump it isn't much fun on a driveway of meaningful size. On a small driveway, a standalone snowblower would probably be the best value. On a large driveway, the front blower is tempting.

For now I pay someone to plow our 1200 curvy, hilly feet of driveway and just neaten up with BX24 + FEL and small standalone snowblower.

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #8  
I live in Southern NH and have been doing my 200', 2 car wide paved driveway as well as a 500' gravel woods road with a FEL and back blade on my 1987 vintage Kubota L2550 for almost 20 years. I pulled snow with the rear blade and finished using the loader to clean up. My driveway was always totally free of snow. I will admit that the paved driveway does wear the cutting edge, however, I never had an issue with the bucket getting beat up. That was never an issue.
I did the same with the woods road, but didn't need to do as good a job as on the driveway. All in all, it worked quite well and I would recommend it for someone that didn't want to spend a lot of money.
All that being said, I just sold the L2550 and bought a B3200 with a FEL. I have ordered a front snow blower for it. I am getting older and feel the snow blower will be easier on me and the tractor. The idea of a rear snowblower is nice because you can leave the loader on, but I couldn't put up with turning around to snow blow. I hope the front mounted blower works out well. I will find out I am sure, soon enough.

Jim in NH

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #9  
Last winter we got 3 feet of snow on our 3/4 mile long driveway. It took 2 days to dig out the driveway with the 3720 and FEL. I wished we had a snow blower to do the driveway so instead I bought a rear blade. Ive only used it in about 3'' at the most so far but if it snow like last year again I will surely use it. (i will also take pictures) The BX 25 should treat you well but Ive noticed that when your out in the snow for a while, you sure wish you had a cab. Best of luck. :)

/ Snow removal with a BX 25 #10  
I live in ontario , NY where there are alot of wind driven, well packed snow. The BX24 works well for me. I started out with the FEL, later added a wooden snow pusher to make it wider faster. The FEL is great for moving snowback to make more room but sucks when you want to clear snow quickly. I added a truck plow to FEL arms like a dozer and it was much better. I can push the snow up higher and over. This summer I adapted the A frame of plow so it can be angled this winter and will be able to tel lif it better or not. I have used a backblade as well, but a front mounted blade is my perferance. I think a blade is excellent for areas with high winds and no need for blower if you don't have a cab. I like the BX24 over a B due to the smallish size but still have plenty of power. If you a a long drive with deep snow, you might want to get a B series instead due to the wider frame and weight.