BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #1  

Tim12659

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, Cub Cadet 3186, Kubota BX1860
I have a new BX1860.. 50 hrs on it. I saw another thread about a owner having to do major repairs on his and wanted to ask if any other BX owners are having issues like I am having...I can't get the Dif lock to engage almost all the time...once it does engage it takes a long time for it to dis-engge...I asked/complained to the dealer about this and their answer was "I don't know why they do that, it has all got to line up just right . Sometimes you just have to rock it back and forth"...well, I don't buy this at all...I only use the dif lock when I am spinning and need it. I want it to work when I do need it though. This was one of the features that I wanted. Sometimes I am using the turning plow and it will come in handy or, using the tiller or box blade as well....
Any advice on how you guy's deal with this will be appreciated...Tim

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #2  
...I only use the dif lock when I am spinning and need it.

This could be your problem. Most tractor mfgrs stipulate NOT to engage the diff. lock while the tractor's rear wheels are turning at different speeds, or damage to the internal parts may occur. So, you sort of need to anticipate when you need to apply diff lock and do it before you start spinning. Generally, the diff lock will stay engaged until you stop and reverse or remove the pre-load from the diff.

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #3  
I have the same issue Tim, with my bx2660. It is annoying I agree, I do NOT try to push it when wheels are turning at different speeds, typically try to set it while stationary, if it won't engage, I'll back up or go forward, then stop and try to re-engage, in an attempt to have internals line up. Still quite annoying and solution-less (ha! I made a new word!)

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #4  
I think it helps if you get an understanding of what is really happening when you engage the lock. I've never pulled apart the diff lock on my BX but have installed lockers and gears a number of times in different truck axles so, while I'm not the best authority, I have an idea.

When engaging you are locking two gears of each wheel axle together with a pin or other gear. As your dealer says, things need to line up. It can be cumbursome because things won't happen until the gears can mesh but this type of locking mechanism is much better than say a clutch driven type - which certainly would engage much eaiser, but then you'd have maintenance (friction modifier for the diff lube) and need to replace clutch plates every so often. Or they could put a much more expensive unit in which engages easier but jacks up the price of the tractor. Personally, while it is a pain to engage at times I prefer this set up as it seems pretty strong to me.

Knowing to an extent of what is happening behind the scenes there are a few things I do to help the locker engage. Firstly, it engages much, much easier if you are driving in a straight line. When stopped try engaging the locker and move the tractor very, very slowly it should engage pretty easily. When turning you may need to get the wheels to move a bit more before the gears on the axle shafts line up so the locking pin (or gear) can engage.

Just be gentle. It is a great feature to have you just need to play with it a bit in order to make it happen.

Good luck..

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage
Thanks...'least I know it is a common problem/tendacy. I agree, it is probably a pinion type where 2 seperate gears have to mesh/match up in order to engage. I have noticed it is easier if I am on flat/level ground...which is almost none of the time...ha ha.
OK, I appreciate the responses. I noticed it did not take but a few mins to get replies to this so I know it is a common issue with these tractors. Other than this I really like this lil' "Toy" as the wife says....I stay on it or doing something with it more than I am in the house according to her....Thaks Guys! Tim

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #6  
I have never had an issue on my 2660, 2200 or B2410.

Other than have the steering centered, if you step on the lock lever while the tractor is going slow (hopefully just before you need it), it should easily engage when slippage starts.

If you are already spinning, stop- step on the lock lever and go ahead (or reverse) slow, to allow it to engage.

As mentioned, it will normally unlock easily when you reverse direction.

I use mine on a steep hill as I mow up the hill and it always works the same way- flat ground not required.

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #7  
My BX2350 is also hard to engange sometimes and disengage also. Sometimes I can take my heel and help the lever up to disengage it.

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage
Most of the time I have to "ride" the pedal and once it get syncronized it will mesh up and go in....I never try to put it in when it is going fast. I never use it except when I get in a spot where I am spinning both front and back wheels....usually when plowing with the turning plow or middle buster. I have hadda use it when mowing in a steep place and have to engage it to get moving or something to this affect. Nevertheless, I almost always have a heck of a time getting it engaged.
It is probably like everyone is saying....it has to mesh or line up the gears a certain way in order to engage.... "least that is how I think it works.
Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Tim

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #9  
I don't even know if this is an "issue". It's just how it is when you're trying to get a pin to go through a moving gear.
On my BX1500, I find that the easiest way to get it to go is to push down on the lock pedal slowly. If it doesn't go all the way, start turning the wheels slowly, and it will pop right in. As others said, just do it slowly. Kind of feel it in.
Same with popping it out. Press on the lock pedal, and then drive slowly in a staright line.
As was said earlier, knowing what's going on internally makes it all make sense.
It's a lot like the older 4WD trucks with manual transfer cases - there's no syncromesh making it easy.

/ BX Differential Hard to engage/disengage #10  
As others have said, understanding how a differential works is helpful...but it's not essential.:confused: What is essential is going as slow as possible and absolutely straight...not turning, and waiting for the lock pin to drop into the next available hole in the axle gear. What you are doing is pushing a pin thru the differential case into an axle side gear, locking both rear wheels together, giving you maximum traction. The downside is that you can't turn (remember, you just eliminated the ability of the rear wheels to "differentiate"...rotate at different rates to negotiate turns). When you no longer need the differential locked, you have to eliminate the load on the rear wheels so that the lock pin can easily back out of the side gear. Locking the differential can introduce a lot of stress on components, especially if done at speed, with spinning wheels, or turning. Damage can be done.:eek: