Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ?

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ? #1  

reprosser

I want to get a Markham Light Duty Grapple Rake for my 3240 with LA514 FEL, but it comes in two versions - light and medium.

The light uses 3/8 metal and weighs 447 lbs
The med uses 1/2 metal and weighs 547 lbs

same design, just heavier metal and additional cost.

I like the heavier metal durability - and the FEL has 1021 lb lift, but I don't know if the extra 100 lbs of grapple would make a big difference.

Anyone using these grapples on LA514?
Opinions?

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ? #2  
hmm. that's a tough one. For the answer - what are you going to use the grapple for?

THough thinking about it, you probably need the 100 pounds more. I use 3/8 on my m59. It bends, but no biggie. DO the 3/8 and get them to gusset it at stress points.

Also search on island tractor's grapple posts. Hours of reading.

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ? #3  
I would definitely get the lighter version. I have the heavier one (1/2 steel) on my M6800 but my lift capacity is around 2500 lb. Your tractor isn't powerful enough to justify the heavier duty, and the light duty is plenty tough. I saw it side by side to mine, and there isn't much difference. Maybe have them add "spacers" closing the gap from 9" to 4.5. This beefs it up a little without much weight added. In my opinion, you are going to want all the lift capacity you can get, and the light duty will hold up just fine.

You will love this addition!

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ? #4  
I have the L4240 and a light duty grapple. Never had issues at all. I did have the spacers added so the gaps between the tines are 4" vs 9 or so.

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ?
Thanks for the feedback. I have lots of piles of trees and brush from clearing land (50 wooded acres), plus I need to clear an area for a home that will require removing more trees and digging up stumps.

Looks like the light version would be the best choice. Cheaper too!

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ? #6  
The 514 Loader only needs the light duty grapple.

What is the differnce between the weight of the buckt and the grapple, or does the grapple attach to the bucket?

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ?
I have not been able to find the weight of the bucket. The grapple replaces the bucket (skid steer).

/ Which Grapple for L3240/LA514 ? #8  
I have an L3830 and have a WRLong RBG2 in the 60 inch width. It is the lighter of the grapples and weighs around 365 pounds. For you, the light Markham is what I would get. I am happy with mine. I welded some extra cross members along the back, where it was more open. When using one around stumps, go slow...so when you snag a stump by mistake you don't bend teeth, etc. Great tool to clean up clearcuts and remove roots and stuff in the soil. Allows the soil to drop out and the debris to be collected. I would also think about getting a landscape rake in the 7 foot size to go on the back... Markham...good value for the money.

Attachments

• Clearing  011.jpg
    Clearing 011.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 129