Oil & Fuel Strange Hydro oil reading

/ Strange Hydro oil reading #1  

Tim12659

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, Cub Cadet 3186, Kubota BX1860
Well, here's one for everyone to ponder on...I'm still scratching ... trying to figure it out.
I recently did the 50 hr service on the BX 1860. I check the tranny/hydro oil when the Tractor is cold and has set overnight or longer. It will show to be right on the full mark...today I decided to check it when I stopped for a breather and....hah! It is showing to be at least a quart over full! Now please.... help figure this one out fer me... I would've swore it would've showed to be low as the oil had not all drained back into the resevoir. But this is not the case here. Like I said, shows to be right on the full mark when cold...then when it has been running awile and shut off for 30 mins or so it'll show to be overfull by at least one quart....Help please!

Last edited:
   / Strange Hydro oil reading #2  
When does it say to check the tranny oil, hot, cold? I have a BX and haven't really noticed it changing when its hot but I'm not sure I've checked it hot. I know the automatic tranny on a car makes a big difference on checking it hot. You are suppose to check them hot and running. I'm not sure on the BX but I bet the owners manual says.

/ Strange Hydro oil reading #3  
Heating up oil will cause it to expand, found that out with a log splitter when I completely filled up the tank cold.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ Strange Hydro oil reading
I've read the manual and it doesn't specify other than saying to do a "walk around" to check the tractor before operating...this is under "Daily Check"...so having said that I imagine checking the trans/hydro oil would be better when everything has been setting for awhile....
I have 2 other tractors...a Cub Cadet with hydro and a Ford 3000....I have never seen a difference in this way on either one of them. If anything they will show to be lower than if it set overnight....the oil runs down after setting.
The only thing I can think of is the oil filter, some of the hydro line, etc are not completely full until it has set awhile. Once the sysytem has set an hour or so the filter and all other things have emties the air and oil has filled the filter, lines etc. Only a thought but may be what is happening. I am puzzled by this one

/ Strange Hydro oil reading #5  
If there's a vent on the system I'd check to see if it's working. Air will expand a lot when it gets hot. When you pull the stick out when the engine's hot, does it feel like it's being pushed out?

/ Strange Hydro oil reading #6  
do you perhaps have your 3ph up when cold, but down when you are checking it during your breather?? Oil drain rates and expansion are a factor as mentioned, but the oil drains quickly so yould see little difference on that score, and expansion itself could not account for the magnitude of overfull discrepancy you are describing.
larry

/ Strange Hydro oil reading #7  
Oil expands when it is hot.

Look at the tranny or power steering dipstick on your car. They usually have "hot" and "cold" lines.

Dunno whether BX is supposed to be checked hot or cold, but yeah, it is totally normal for the level to read higher when it is hot.

If you got oil on that leetle beety deepsteeck at all, you'll prolly be OK.

222x269_officerBrady.gif

/ Strange Hydro oil reading #8  
If you put some egg whites in a bowl and beat them with a whisk or blender the egg whites will increase in volume 8 or 10 fold due to entrained air bubbles. Engine and hydraulic oils undergo a similar transformation when "beaten" by the crankshaft, gears, etc. Some lube systems incorporate air/oil seperators or deaerators to reduce this air in the oil. Usually, the reservoir does this by letting the oil "just chill out" in a quiet place. That's one reason operator's manuals typically tell you to check the fluid level when it's either either hot or cold.

Jim

Disclaimer: I'm not a tribologist, but I play one on TBN.

/ Strange Hydro oil reading
As fir the vent...I haven't noticed any pressure build up when removing the stick....The 3 pt is usually down when I check it cold as I nearly always let the lift down when parking for overnight.... now I really haven't noticed when I check hot what position it is in but most likely it is down. Good Question and one that I will check on next time I am on 'er.
I do realize the oil will expand but as mentioned but usually not to this magnitude. I am wondering...if the oil filter may not be aligned where the drain holes are unblocked (if there is such a thing).
I do know that on the Cub 3186 if the drain holes in the filter are not the proper size the tractor will not move! It has to have a certain size drain hole for the proper flow to take place. I am gonna check on this....
Maybe today as I am intending to remove the MMM and put the tiller on. I am wanting to "Fix Up" a Trnip/Mustard and Collard Green Patch. Yep, that time of year again here in NE Al for "Sowing thu Green'z".
Thanks Guys...I 'preciate the input...Tim

Last edited:
   / Strange Hydro oil reading #10  
Sounds normal to me. My B3030 does the same thing. I recently changed the SUDT and filters at 300 hrs. After refilling and starting the tractor I raised and lowered the hydraulics several times, put the trans in neutral and operated the HST in forward and reverse. I then backed it up and drove it forward again and shut it off. When I checked the stick the fluid was about halfway between the marks. I mowed the lawn the next day and everything was normal. Yesterday when I checked the fluid after it had set for 4 days there was nothing showing on the stick. I need to get another quart of SUDT to top it off I guess. I have noticed the wide variations on the stick before. Sometimes it shows way over full and the next time it is between the marks. Depends when you check it I guess.