Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer

/ Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer #1  

imajeepnut

Silver Member
Maybe lawnking or someone else might jump in on this thread... I'm looking for a rear PTO tank for spraying broad leaf in my lawn and pasture. I'll run it on the BX2660 and was hoping to find one that was setup for low drift.... some of the spray tips create such a fine mist and fan pattern, that the wind will carry the mix over to shrubbery and such. My lawncare prof. has a tank in his pickup bed, and the handheld sprayer produces no mist...just multiple streams similar to some shower heads I've seen. If anyone has first-hand experience with this type sprayer(if it exists), I sure would appreciate your help and lead.

Thanks!
Jeff

/ Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer #2  
Maybe lawnking or someone else might jump in on this thread... I'm looking for a rear PTO tank for spraying broad leaf in my lawn and pasture. I'll run it on the BX2660 and was hoping to find one that was setup for low drift.... some of the spray tips create such a fine mist and fan pattern, that the wind will carry the mix over to shrubbery and such. My lawncare prof. has a tank in his pickup bed, and the handheld sprayer produces no mist...just multiple streams similar to some shower heads I've seen. If anyone has first-hand experience with this type sprayer(if it exists), I sure would appreciate your help and lead.

Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff,

You can always change the spray nozzles in whatever sprayer you get, but a lower pressure nozzle will probably result in a narrower spray pattern. This will require that you add more nozzles.

I was thinking about buying the one from BXpanded, then decided I should build my own. I already have a 35 gallon tank. You can get a Northstar sprayer pump (2.2 GPM) from Northern Tool for around $70. Then, some pipe and nozzles, and you've got your own set up. Alternatively, you could modify the one from BXpanded such that the boom is lower, resulting in less drift. Again, you'll have to add nozzles to get 100% coverage.

Sorry I can't be of more help - haven't started making my own yet, but I have the same issues you do with existing sprayers. I intend to control overspray by lowering the boom though.

Looking forward to seeing what others have done.

Jesse

/ Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer #3  
I bought the harbor freight 15 gallon sprayer with coupon for 70 bucks and made a 3 pt hitch plate for it. I was able to adjust the tip to make a stream and there is no mist spray unless i screw in the tip more to make a mist. I think its all about the adjustment of the spray tip. If whatever you have no wont adjust, drilling a larger daimeter in tip will make a less of a mist spray.

/ Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer
Jesse.... is that Northstar pump electric or PTO driven?

/ Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer #5  
Drift is controlled by droplet size which is done with the nozzle. Any 3pt sprayer with a regulator can be made "low pressure". The other factor is to not spray when it's windy. Look up Teejet nozzles, they have tables to show the characteristics of each of their nozzles.

Thanks Mike....I'll look that up. I do try to limit spraying during windy conditions, but even mild windy conditions always seem to prevail when it's time to apply the material.....but the nozzle swap may take care of that. I've found a few more 3-pt. sprayers that do in fact have pressure regulators....and that will help reduce the misting too.

/ Looking for a low drift - low pressure tank sprayer #7  
Thanks for those links Jesse.... I remember that Northstar tank now. I've seen it before, but with a boom... Someone must be using that same tank and modifying it. I saved the links...I might want to make my own.