Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    E/S
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab

Default Need input on snowplow

I could really use some input on a your experience with snowplowing.

I find my self in the unexpected position of having to clear 5+ mi. of gravel road this winter. I had originally planed to do my driveway ( 3/4 mi. ) with the bucket, now that doesn't seem to realistic given the added miles.

The snow here is usually less than 2' at a time with a total of as much as 5' a winter. Most contractors use a pick-up mounted plow, I would like to take advantage of the quick couple on the FEL and use a blade.

Any input / experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Default Re: Need input on snowplow

Quote Originally Posted by E/S View Post
    I could really use some input on a your experience with snowplowing.

I find my self in the unexpected position of having to clear 5+ mi. of gravel road this winter. I had originally planed to do my driveway ( 3/4 mi. ) with the bucket, now that doesn't seem to realistic given the added miles.

The snow here is usually less than 2' at a time with a total of as much as 5' a winter. Most contractors use a pick-up mounted plow, I would like to take advantage of the quick couple on the FEL and use a blade.

Any input / experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.
    5 Miles? Get a truck!
    John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

What type of machine do you have?
    I would suggest you get a power angle blade, a closed canopy with a heater and a coffee cup holder.
    Kubota BX25 Tractor w/R4's and turf's, loader and backhoe w/12" bucket
    Attachments - 3-pt hitch, 60" MMM, grass catcher and a 60" front blade.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3430

Lots of good FEL plow threads here. Do some searching. Example:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/c...front-end.html

Five miles seems like quite a bit of plowing. I do a few drives and field access for my horses and find myself pretty darn cold some times.

Did you mean 2 feet of snow per storm?
    Is this a one time this winter only thing or for many years to come?
    If long term, perhaps the truck suggestion above is a good one!?

However, with the right tractor and tools, you can do this. Tell us more about your tractor....
    Kubota 3430HST ,Woods 1009 with skidsteer QC,Scraper, Brush mower , Woods 7' hoe, homebrew 7' FEL QC fisher plow with hydraulics, etc
    99 QCSB4x4 Cummins Ram (with some hp toys but now a Vermont rust bucket)

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

How much time do you have? For that long a road it's out and back at least once if not twice. Tractors tend to be slow. A good tractor may plow at 10 miles an hour which is an hour at least with one pass and over 2 with 2. A plow truck on a good road can hit double that with a heater, radio, cupholder and room for someone to ride along and talk too. 5 miles? Unless you have a monster tractor and a cab, I'd do the truck! Tell us more about how you got roped into that one.
    B2320, 60" MMM, 5' Back Blade, Trailer Mover

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

I have both a front plow and rear blower on my 20 hp tractor.

I previously also had a 3/4 ton 4X4 plow.
    Properly mounted plow on a tractor works great for lesser snow events but the blower is a must to keep the snow banks under control.
    If you have lots of space you can start the season WIDE as with accumulations plowing will narrow the road to practically impassable.
    With a blower you blast the white stuff clear out of the way, but that's slow going as the blower can handle just so much.

My solution is front mounted plow for the lesser events to gather it for one blower pass which I can do in 3 gear high (about 8 mph) and one 2 mph blow pass.

Serious events call for patience, hot coffee and time, but it works for me.

When there is a serious (16"+ event) I blow/plow once mid storm just to keep ahead of things but then I am retired and my cab is heated.
    Also when serious dumpings nobody else is moving nor are the main streets passible anyways, so what's the rush.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Did you really say 5+ miles???? That is a lot of road. As much as I would love to recommend a solution that involves a tractor I think that is a job for a 4x4 pickup.

Edit:
    After looking at your profile I would say your tractor could easily handle an 8' plow. They make all kinds of wonderful power angle plows that could just mount onto your loader and plumb to hydraulics.
    It's the going that counts not the distance!

E/S
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab

Sorry for the lack of information, i am still learning how to use this site.
    I really did mean 5+ miles.
    The snow fall here averages around 2 ' per storm, usually 5+ per winter.
    I would love to have even more vehicals, but the wife is a little twitchey about buying another vehical after buying the M8540 3 months ago, howerver I have convinced her that we could get another attachment.
    Thank You all for your patience and input.
    E/S

2009 Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
    LA1353 FEL w/ 7' Bucket & Pallet Forks
    McMillen X1475 Earth Auger w/ 9", 18" & 24" augers - Land Pride RCR3596 Rotary Cutter
    Gearmore 4G4 Series 7' Box Scraper w/ hydraulic rippers

Quote Originally Posted by E/S View Post
    Sorry for the lack of information, i am still learning how to use this site.
    I really did mean 5+ miles.
    The snow fall here averages around 2 ' per storm, usually 5+ per winter.
    I would love to have even more vehicals, but the wife is a little twitchey about buying another vehical after buying the M8540 3 months ago, howerver I have convinced her that we could get another attachment.
    Thank You all for your patience and input.
    E/S
    That tractor will work better than a pickup for that kind of plowing, provided the tractot is 4WD.

However I would highly reccomend a frame/harness mounted plowover using the FEL since speed will be your friend.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Bronze Member

This is how I set my little B7610 up. It push's 2 feet of snow without a problem in high range. If it is real wet heavy snow then I put it in low range. It cost me less than $500 bucks and that includes the plow and all the bucket work.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ow-set-up.html
    B7610,54"mm,spreader,FEL

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast