Need input on snowplow

/ Need input on snowplow #1  

E/S

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
I could really use some input on a your experience with snowplowing.

I find my self in the unexpected position of having to clear 5+ mi. of gravel road this winter. I had originally planed to do my driveway ( 3/4 mi. ) with the bucket, now that doesn't seem to realistic given the added miles.

The snow here is usually less than 2' at a time with a total of as much as 5' a winter. Most contractors use a pick-up mounted plow, I would like to take advantage of the quick couple on the FEL and use a blade.

Any input / experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

/ Need input on snowplow #2  
I could really use some input on a your experience with snowplowing.

I find my self in the unexpected position of having to clear 5+ mi. of gravel road this winter. I had originally planed to do my driveway ( 3/4 mi. ) with the bucket, now that doesn't seem to realistic given the added miles.

The snow here is usually less than 2' at a time with a total of as much as 5' a winter. Most contractors use a pick-up mounted plow, I would like to take advantage of the quick couple on the FEL and use a blade.

Any input / experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

5 Miles? Get a truck!

/ Need input on snowplow #3  
What type of machine do you have?
I would suggest you get a power angle blade, a closed canopy with a heater and a coffee cup holder.

/ Need input on snowplow #4  
Lots of good FEL plow threads here. Do some searching. Example:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/131136-snow-plow-adapted-front-end.html

Five miles seems like quite a bit of plowing. I do a few drives and field access for my horses and find myself pretty darn cold some times.

Did you mean 2 feet of snow per storm?
Is this a one time this winter only thing or for many years to come?
If long term, perhaps the truck suggestion above is a good one!?

However, with the right tractor and tools, you can do this. Tell us more about your tractor....

/ Need input on snowplow #5  
How much time do you have? For that long a road it's out and back at least once if not twice. Tractors tend to be slow. A good tractor may plow at 10 miles an hour which is an hour at least with one pass and over 2 with 2. A plow truck on a good road can hit double that with a heater, radio, cupholder and room for someone to ride along and talk too. 5 miles? Unless you have a monster tractor and a cab, I'd do the truck! Tell us more about how you got roped into that one.

/ Need input on snowplow #6  
I have both a front plow and rear blower on my 20 hp tractor.

I previously also had a 3/4 ton 4X4 plow.
Properly mounted plow on a tractor works great for lesser snow events but the blower is a must to keep the snow banks under control.
If you have lots of space you can start the season WIDE as with accumulations plowing will narrow the road to practically impassable.
With a blower you blast the white stuff clear out of the way, but that's slow going as the blower can handle just so much.

My solution is front mounted plow for the lesser events to gather it for one blower pass which I can do in 3 gear high (about 8 mph) and one 2 mph blow pass.

Serious events call for patience, hot coffee and time, but it works for me.

When there is a serious (16"+ event) I blow/plow once mid storm just to keep ahead of things but then I am retired and my cab is heated.
Also when serious dumpings nobody else is moving nor are the main streets passible anyways, so what's the rush.

/ Need input on snowplow #7  
Did you really say 5+ miles???? That is a lot of road. As much as I would love to recommend a solution that involves a tractor I think that is a job for a 4x4 pickup.

Edit:
After looking at your profile I would say your tractor could easily handle an 8' plow. They make all kinds of wonderful power angle plows that could just mount onto your loader and plumb to hydraulics.

/ Need input on snowplow
Sorry for the lack of information, i am still learning how to use this site.
I really did mean 5+ miles.
The snow fall here averages around 2 ' per storm, usually 5+ per winter.
I would love to have even more vehicals, but the wife is a little twitchey about buying another vehical after buying the M8540 3 months ago, howerver I have convinced her that we could get another attachment.
Thank You all for your patience and input.
E/S

/ Need input on snowplow #9  
Sorry for the lack of information, i am still learning how to use this site.
I really did mean 5+ miles.
The snow fall here averages around 2 ' per storm, usually 5+ per winter.
I would love to have even more vehicals, but the wife is a little twitchey about buying another vehical after buying the M8540 3 months ago, howerver I have convinced her that we could get another attachment.
Thank You all for your patience and input.
E/S

That tractor will work better than a pickup for that kind of plowing, provided the tractot is 4WD.

However I would highly reccomend a frame/harness mounted plowover using the FEL since speed will be your friend.