Mowing Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #1  

HootervilleMN

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Say - does anyone have a suggestion (it may already be in the manual, so be kind if this sounds dense) on how to use the MMM on my BX if I also have a ballast box on the 3PH. When the mower deck is lowered, so is the ballast box on the 3PH. You can see how this would somewhat degrade the quality of the cut (but could possibly pass as a trencher) ;-{).

So, normally, to mow, I remove the FEL (5 minute job - I'm getting quite used to it), and the 3PH ballast box (another 5 minutes). But if I want to do a little quick mowing with the FEL on, I still have to doink with removing the ballast box.

Is there a simple way to lock the 3PH in the "up" position, but still have the MMM fully operative?

Thanks in advance.

Al

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #2  
You can disconnect the three point arms from the lift arms and pin them on each side of the tractor. There are places to do this to keep the 3ph from dropping when you mow. Look for the eye brackets on the rear of your tractor. Just pull the pin from your lift arm and attach the 3ph arm to the eye with the pin. Of course you may have to block or jack up your box to do this depending on how heavy it is. These eyes are designed for this purpose to keep the 3ph hitch from going up and down when you lift your mower. I'm sure they were intended to be used without attachments to the 3ph but they appear to be pretty stout. I have used them in this manner to pull a 2 wheel trailer before without problems. Good luck.

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #3  
Just watch driving with the added weight over your septic field (if you have one).

KCook

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #4  
Hi Hooterville

The 3PH lifts part of the way before the mower deck starts to lift at all. You can use this to your advantage.

Here's how I do it: Lower the mower deck to the lowest position. Of course the weight box also drops. Now cut back on the throttle to slow the hydraulic pump way down. Move the hydraulic lever to back 'lift' position. You will notice the 3PH starts to lift right away but the MMM does not lift just yet. Stop just as the MMM starts to lift. If the MMM does lifts, lower it a bit. Now turn around and take a look ... you will notice the ballast box is lifted off the ground about 1/2 of the way, high enough to mow with it on.

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #5  
We just received a new BX with a ballast box. Same problem, when we lower the mower, the ballast box also lowers and is dragging on the ground while we mow. The ballast box is a lot deeper than our previous one. It is also attached with a quick hitch.

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #6  
We just received a new BX with a ballast box. Same problem, when we lower the mower, the ballast box also lowers and is dragging on the ground while we mow. The ballast box is a lot deeper than our previous one. It is also attached with a quick hitch.
See post 2 above. That is what I do with the rear bagger on theBX2230 and the mower deck on. Jon

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #7  
Wow! 20 year old thread resurrected! Might be a record!

Myself, I simply take the 3PH implement off. Don’t use a bagger though…agree that would be a different story.

/ Mowing with 3PH Ballast Box on BX2200 #8  
+1 for taking it off.... but if you must leave it on, perhaps there's a way to chain it in the raised position?

I believe I have briefly mowed with a box blade on before, I thought that the mmm lowered first, so if you stop as soon as it gets to the bottom of its travel the 3pt attachment would still be up in the air? Maybe they moved at the same time and the mower just went all the way down first...
.first.