My Bucket List

/ My Bucket List #1  

FullBucket

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2350
No, not that list! I was daydreaming when I should have been paying attention to the load I was moving when I thought of the idea of a list of Ten Things To Remember When Working With A Front End Loader. So I had a crack at it and maybe you guys can have a go at it too. Warning, list contains examples of author's quirky sense of humour. Read at own risk.

My Tractor Bucket List

1.Buy and install a toothbar. They improve your productivity SO MUCH that a bucket really shouldn't be without one unless you are moving something like loose sawdust on concrete floors. And even then, I'd still want a toothbar because they're fun!

2.Keep the loaded bucket low and the teeth up when moving As low as the loader arms at, or below, the top of the tractor hood. Unless you are intentionally digging, you don't want to catch the teeth as you move. Darwin awards are still available for the truly adventurous.

3.Buckle and ROPS up. Use a heavy three-point hitch attachment as a counterweight. Working with the loader is probably the most unstable activity you will perform on a subcompact tractor. A loaded bucket acts as a powerful lever whose momentum can surprise an unsuspecting operator. Low and slow is the way to go.

4.A mountain can be moved one bucket full at a time, but stay alert and in low gear until the mountain has been moved. Our little tractors can truly work wonders with sufficient patience and persistence. However after working for a while the temptations to go faster and think of non-related things call out to Murphy's Law. Take a break when tired.

5.Keep the working area level. Tires can spin, leaving ruts perfectly positioned to add unwanted excitement to your day. A dropped and soon forgotten rock creates a thrilling speed bump. Groom the work area as hazards become apparent. Use the bucket, or other attachment, to level and remove obstacles before they reveal their entertainment value. A box blade is a great combination with the loader.

6.Fill the bucket evenly and be especially careful when traversing on any slope or when carrying a load that can shift. Nothing generates pucker power faster than lifting one of the rear wheels. An uneven load of gravel, a little bump, a little slope, a round rock that rolls in the bucket, are U-tube videos waiting to happen. Buried rocks, roots, etcetera, have a thrilling effect on aggressive loader operators. Pack extra underwear if the testosterone levels are high. Keep one hand on the wheel and the other on the loader controller. Be ready to drop the loader arms to counter rear tire lifts. Also turning down the slope can be a good way to get to the bottom right side up.

7.Work smoothly and anticipate required motions. Your productivity will increase with practice. As you æ¾±ecome one with your bucket accuracy and efficiencies start to develop. It's part of the fun.

8.Backdrag with the heel of the bucket. Works better; lasts longer.

9.Be careful undercutting a pile. Remove the overhang ASAP. Thousands of pounds of material suddenly dropping on you will deliver that rare tractor owner's eulogy æ¾±uried still on his tractor sooner than desired. Smaller overhangs can be pulled down with the bucket. When they let go be prepared to drop the bucket to keep from tipping. Bigger overhangs threaten to pummel your tractor hood and maybe the operator too. If the overhang is too big to reach; the job is too big for your tractor.

10.Grease the loader pins. It works hard for you; give a little thanks back. Wear old clothes. Remember all those times you thought, this will only take a minute and didn't change. This is the time to change. A rag is mandatory because working with grease is just plain messy. Q-tips are a nice accessory to clean the dirt off the zerk before you pump it into the space you are working to protect. And of course they are handy to get any stray grease out of your ears.

Hope this helps a noobie or two. And maybe gives a smile to those who remember their own "thrills" working with a front end loader.

/ My Bucket List #2  
Good start, I'm sure the list will continue.

/ My Bucket List #4  
Very good bucket list. Should be required reading for all newbies...Myself included!

/ My Bucket List #5  
Great list...wish I had that starting up but after a year and a half of FEL use to move 30 tandem loads of fill dirt (over a year's time frame), I have unfortunately experienced and learned from most those first hand (except the part about rolling over, although I did challenge it a couple of times...thank goodness).

But to add to the list:
Toothbars are great, however, resist the temptation to use it to pry or dig stones or boulders...As aggressive as many toothbars make the FEL look, they are not made to handle the torque of prying something large (and buried stones have a tendency to just grow the deeper you dig around it)...

If available, keep tractor in 4-wheel drive...you'll experience an unusual adrenaline high carrying a full load down a hill and your rear tires lift and you start sliding...

If using your FEL to help in clearing brush or moving it...(if you have a hydro fan), make sure it's protected (skid plate)...

/ My Bucket List
Thanks for the comments. As usual, more minds produce a better product. I fully agree with adding bucket hooks and using 4 wheel drive.

Although many add two hooks at the bucket corners, I opted for one centrally located on the plate that reinforces the central hydraulic. Using hooks of course add their own safety concerns. Must take care to ensure stability maintained. Also a cable or wire under tension is a dangerous beast.

Best wishes for the safety of all.

/ My Bucket List #8  
I think I would make #11. Never use the FEL for any heavy work without ballast on the rear of the tractor. Not only does it keep the rear tires on the ground it transfer some of the weight off of the front axle.

MarkV

/ My Bucket List #9  
hmmmm...
Ok--

13. Remember when you have a full bucket and lift it all the way up-- DO NOT ROLL IT ALL THE WAY BACK... Lest ye want a lap full of the bucket contents. (Seen it done by a neighbor dumping into a dump truck, in a hurry he was... oops where did Yoda come from...)...

14. If you see a turkey or other wild animal a game bucket jousting, while funny, never works.

15. when all else fails -- read the thread-- the joy of a full bucket....

done am I... to rest I must go....

and to you goodnight I say ...

Laugh you must not, Yoda just on DVD he was...

J

/ My Bucket List #10  
nice one Radartech....i too was watching Yoda last night untill the Red Sox game demanded my full attention:D