Ballast Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes?

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #1  

tommyz270

Silver Member
Tractor
Still looking...
I have a B2920 and am thinking about filling the rear tires myself - been doing some reading on past posts and looks like I could do it.

Questions -
1 - How much should I put in? It's a B2920 with R4 tires.
2 - Does it effect anything and are there any downfalls? I have a BB and BH, but am trying to do some work in tight spaces and want to do FEL work with nothing on the back.
3 - Will there be any other noticable negative differences other than if the tire get punctured?
4 - Thoughts on Windshied Wiper Fluid? Would go low enough and not toxic like radiator fluid.

Any input will be helpful.

Thanks

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #2  
My dealer did this for me, but he showed me with his hand that it was filled about 2/3rds filled.

About to the top of the hub.

Larry

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #3  
I have filled arew sets of tires. Its not that hard and I use WW fluid or use a glycol solution. the easiest to get is ww fluid. I filled it to the top of the rim and left the rest for air cushion and any higher it will start to raise the center of gravity. I load all of my machines even my lawn tractors. I do not recomend filling the front tires the front tires act as a shock absorber to lessen the chance of damage to the front end. This was stated in the Kubota owners manual.

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #4  
   / Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #5  
I choose to go with wheel weights on my BX2660, but it is the same principal. I realize the BX and B are entirely different tractors, but you should be able to do some FEL work with weighted/filled tires on flat ground in 4WD.

I won't go into all the safety pros and cons as I am sure you are more than familiar with them and have taken them into account. You will really like the extra weight in all situations.

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #6  
You will get better traction for sure and the tractor will be more stable on uneven ground or hills. However. The weight of filled tires is not enough ballast for loader work. Depending on what you are doing you might lift at least one rear tires off the ground if the loader has a larger weight in it. Even if it is just dirt you will have next to no traction in the rear and the weight of your load and tractor will be resting mostly on the front axle.
You could just fill a 30 gallon garbage can with concrete and you have 400 lbs of weight. Do a search on that. There are several posts discussing very cheap home made ballast. They really tuck in nice between the 3ph arms and don't inhibit turning in tight spaces.
just $0.02's worth

Edit: go with rimguard (a beat juice derivative). It is heavier and not going to kill your lawn or trees or whatever if you happen to get a flat and the stuff leaks out.

Last edited:
   / Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #7  
Yes, I find that in addition to loaded tires (beet juice) I need my ballast box filled with rocks or sand ( around 500 pounds) to keep from lifting a tire. You really need both. The Kubota ballast box for the B's is not that expensive and you can still work in tight places. It's also useful for grabbing a rock out of for wall work or I have filled it with 16 inch fire wood pieces when cutting fire wood. From what I have read you need three point ballast to protect your front axle when doing loader work. Loaded tires alone won't do that.

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes? #8  
I have the 2620 (same size tractor as yours) w/ loaded R4's. Mine are loaded w/ Rimguard about 75% fill. It will make a great difference in loader work and for stability on hills etc... but as others mentioned depending on what you hauling in the FEL you will still need some more rear ballast. I use my box blade (about 500 lbs) when lifting big boulders etc... and w/ the filled tires and BB I have no problems w/ ballast.

/ Filling tires on B2920 - how much and what changes?
I'm doing some really light grading/scraping around the house - not real heavy fel work.

When I do the heavy work, I'll either put the BB or the BH on it....

I'll check into the rimguard - sounds like something that may work better, especially if it's heavier than water.