BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck?

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #1  

connor77

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2660 with FEL
Getting closer to pulling the trigger and trying to get a few more opinions on attachments.

Wondering if any BX owners have purchased the fine cut deck instead of the standard deck. Heard back from TripleR that he wasn't crazy about a fine cut deck and that he was pleased with the quality of the standard deck.

If anyone does have the fine cut deck do you deal with lots of issues with clumping/clogging or windrowing? I think I can make sure that I mow only when the grass is dry and if the performance of the fine cut deck is better I would prefer to buy this one.

Thoughts?

Thanks....

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #2  
I honestly cant say a fine deck is better or not. I have the regular deck and it seems to be a very nice deck. I think you might prefer a regular deck as you would be able to do more esp. if you didnt have time to mow and skipped one or two mowing. When I went in to get my BX, at first I wanted a fine cut deck, but my dealer said the regular deck is cheaper and has a deeper deck. The regular deck would allow me to mow taller grasses instead of clogging up. I realized that there is no real difference in cutting except for how long the grass gets suspended under the deck before it gets discharged. So far I have been happy with the regular deck and have not regretted that decision. I used the money instead towards a new pto tiller instead.

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #3  
I believe forum member shrekbelly had or has the fine cut for his BX (he traded up from an 1850 to 2360, so I don't know if he kept the FC deck). Have not seen him post in a while, but you couled PM him.

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #4  
connor,

i have the 54" fine cut on my bx2360. the 2360 has plenty of power to run this deck and take no prisoners. i have run it thru some obscenely high grass without skipping a beat (i'll claim temporary stupidity).
my background is in deep deck commercial machines (ZTR's) and deep deck mulching mowers.
when i sold my zero, i only wanted a deep deck or fine cut on my new bx. i did not even consider the standard. my plan was to get the deck and tractor to be the best mulcher i could. now it's just a matter of which blade combos i use and whether or no i go the baffle route.
the quality of cut on my fine cut is every bit as good as my old toro z master.
i have not had any problems with clumping, grass dispersion, clogging or windrowing. i only cut when it is dry.
at this point, i have my trust in the kubota engineers, as both kinds of decks are well engineered and well made.
truth be told, if i had the time to cut with greater frequency, i wouldn't necessarily need the fine cut deck . . . but, who's got the time to cut every couple of days in grass growing season? (i don't and never will). as a power equipment junkie, the fine cut deck appealed to me for the basics of airflow- standing the grass up to cut it.
am cutting on the high side now 3 3/4", but know the quality of cut will get even better as i set it to 3 1/4" and 3 1/2 hoc.
when i got my fine cut deck (2 years ago), it was only $100.00 more than the standard deck. i must also say . . . that the other kubota decks are designed as production decks, to cut the grass and get it out in a hurry (DUH!).
i believed the decision to be a no brainer, and i very glad i had my dealer bring the deck in for me.
hope this helps. my review is positive on this deck, i'd measure all your responses- maybe throw out the high (like mine) and low and look at the most common responses.
good luck with your choice and search

hookopotomous regards, shrekbelly

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #5  
Yea, my normal deck (60") is a junk...And yes, in the bottom pix I removed the ROPS...LOL

cimg7017.jpg

cimg7240.jpg

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #6  
sw03,

sweet stripes
shrekbelly

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck?
Thanks Shrekbelly and SW

And I'll second the nice stripe comments that Shrek made. Your lawn looks like it's mowed with commercial walk-behind with striping roller.

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #8  
I have the 54" fine cut deck and for the extra $100 it was a no brainier. As with any lawn mower the longer/wetter the grass the more clumping you will get. I keep the shoot pulled back because my lawn stays pretty damp. I've found that the cleaner you can keep the under side of the deck, the better the cut and by making sure that the lawn is dry when you mow will help greatly in keeping it clean. Also I can still mow my swamp grass and brush with it, it just dulls the blades quicker.

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #9  
I have a BX2230 and I'm trying to decide between the 54" deck and the 60" deck. I don't think they offer the 60" in a "fine cut" version, but you can get a mulching kit for it.

It seems like the extra width of the 60" would make it easier to cut around flower beds and trees.

Anyone have experience/advice on these two decks? (or should I start another thread??)

TBS

/ BX Owners - anyone with fine cut deck? #10  
Thanks Shrekbelly and SW

And I'll second the nice stripe comments that Shrek made. Your lawn looks like it's mowed with commercial walk-behind with striping roller.

Thanks guys..I love the bota.

I have owned the 54" and now the 60"..Cuts are the same and the 60 is well worth the money. To me the fine cut (only at 54") is not worth it.