Snow Snow plowing adjustment question

/ Snow plowing adjustment question #1  

idaguide

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I plow about a 300 yard driveway with my B7800 and a rear blade. Because the driveway goes along the side of the hill, I plow towards the low side. However, with the plow on normally centered across the back, I'm only able to push the snow to the side, and it quickly builds up next to the road, forcing me to do what I call "the pushback" all the way down the driveway with my FEL. (It also goes down the hill.) This is very time consuming.

What I'm considering is adjusting the plow (sliding it) out to the right as far as it will go, so that the blade hangs out a couple feet over the edge, and hopefully will send the snow farther out, forcing the pushback less often.

What I'm wondering is whether or not this will be advantageous, or if the pressure of the snow on the rear blade will tend to jerk the front of the tractor around to the right, towards the downhill side. My rear tires are filled and chained, but I still think the whole thing will tend to rotate. I'm looking for advice because I don't want to find out that this doesn't work during the first big snowfall...it's a hassle to move the blade and I'd rather make up my mind ahead of time.

Any advice? Is my description clear?
Thanks in advance.
grae

/ Snow plowing adjustment question #2  
I plow about a 300 yard driveway with my B7800 and a rear blade. Because the driveway goes along the side of the hill, I plow towards the low side. However, with the plow on normally centered across the back, I'm only able to push the snow to the side, and it quickly builds up next to the road, forcing me to do what I call "the pushback" all the way down the driveway with my FEL. (It also goes down the hill.) This is very time consuming.

What I'm considering is adjusting the plow (sliding it) out to the right as far as it will go, so that the blade hangs out a couple feet over the edge, and hopefully will send the snow farther out, forcing the pushback less often.

What I'm wondering is whether or not this will be advantageous, or if the pressure of the snow on the rear blade will tend to jerk the front of the tractor around to the right, towards the downhill side. My rear tires are filled and chained, but I still think the whole thing will tend to rotate. I'm looking for advice because I don't want to find out that this doesn't work during the first big snowfall...it's a hassle to move the blade and I'd rather make up my mind ahead of time.

Any advice? Is my description clear?
Thanks in advance.
grae

I agree with your own conclusion about the torque issue..also the added uneven stress on the blade mounts...

How about a wider blade? Either a rear blade or a front mounted blade. With the wider blade you can push the snow further to the side and keep the wheels on the road. I picked a used on up for $200 and did some quick welding..Works great...even if you don't weld ..a shop will be able to do this sort of mount in less than 30 - 60 minutes..

Even with the snow plow., I still occasionally have to do the " clean up" push back... I wait for a sunny day and do it at my leisure..

Oh yeah, since this photo I've added hydraulic controls for the blade...But be carefule you don't torque the FEL arms with an angled plow...Plow strainght and then clean up the banks angled...

Your also going to hear.."get a snow blower" and you'll not have to deal with pushing snow back..:D

Good luck..

Attachments

• Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 336
   / Snow plowing adjustment question
Yeah, a snowblower would be great. However, I use my FEL all winter long for all kinds of other stuff, so it would have to be on the back. I know a couple people who've messed up their neck or back looking over their shoulder for long periods of time. Don't think I wanna go there...although I know the blower would be more efficient.

Thanks for the response.
grae

/ Snow plowing adjustment question #4  
Couple of things I've found winging back the snow banks.
Go slow until you get the hang of it.
Try keep blade couple inches off the ground or ice/frozen..if blade catches frontend heads for ditch,also opps. side may lift/tippy from ground.
Don't try and wing back in one pass..1/3's..1/2 depend on snow fall.
If you have the means attach fare end to outside blade..something like highway plow have.
Try not to forget when blade not in use...it can be eye opener when hitting steel mailbox post,wood pile etc. :(

Will be interested in your out come.

/ Snow plowing adjustment question #5  
Yeah, a snowblower would be great. However, I use my FEL all winter long for all kinds of other stuff, so it would have to be on the back. I know a couple people who've messed up their neck or back looking over their shoulder for long periods of time. Don't think I wanna go there...although I know the blower would be more efficient.

Thanks for the response.
grae

I use my loader as well all winter, thats why I made my quick mount plow.. leaves the loader in place, and really make snow plowing more efficient... Good Luck..

/ Snow plowing adjustment question #7  
Try strapping or bolting a 2 X 10 across your blade, about 8" above the ground and protruding maybe 16-20 ins beyond the edge of the blade.
Sort of a poor man's extension.
This way knocking the tops off creates space for next accumulations.

/ Snow plowing adjustment question #8  
[SIZE="5"[/SIZE] I HAVE HAD MY PTO SNOWBLOWER ON THE REAR FOR 6YRS AND ALREADY HAD BACK PROBLEMS AND NECK PROBLEMS FROM HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING DAYS 40 YRS AGO. I DON'T FEEL THIS HAS HURT EITHER ANYMORE. I USE MY UNIT PRIMARY FOR SNOW REMOVAL FOR TWO OF MY PROPERTIES (HOME&OFFICE), I LOVE MY SET UP BECAUSE I CAN PUSH FORWARD AND BACKUP AND BLOW ON THE PARKING LOTS (TAKES 1/2 THE TIME)PLUS THE WEIGHT OF THE BLOWER ON THE REAR HELPS WITH THE TRACTION. THE BLOWER SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. [B][COLOR="Red"]GOOD LUCK[/COLOR][/B]:)

Last edited:
   / Snow plowing adjustment question #10  
Another vote for a blower. I do our 2,200' "drive way" many times a winter. No back or neck problems at all. Especially if you have an HST it's very easy to sit a little side ways in your seat.
I hemmed and hawed about the blower for a couple of years too. Doing the whole push back thing, dealing w/ monster drifting etc. Trust me, you'll wonder why the heck you didn't get a blower to begin with. The drive will be kept much cleaner and more importantly you'll be done in about 1/4 the time.