Mid PTO Protection

/ Mid PTO Protection #1  

git1fiddle

I spend a lot of time in the woods with my BX2660 and seldom have a MMM attached, leaving the mid PTO exposed. The owners manual makes a pretty big deal about keeping the rear PTO covered when not in use, but there is nothing about mid PTO protection. I assume the cover for the rear PTO is more about protecting the user than the PTO spline? But the mid sure picks up plenty of debris when I'm muckin' around in the woods. Always needs a cleaning and a new coat of grease before hooking up to it. Any thoughts? Also, on another subject, where do you get the "step kit" deck reinforcement I've seen pictured on previous posts?

/ Mid PTO Protection #2  
BX's are great. B's are great. OK? But this is one of those examples of when a B's higher ground clearance applies for those on the fence of deciding between a B and a BX or just buy both of them. Doubt the pto getting dirty will hurt anything but I understand the trans fan is a big deal. You may be about to mess up with you BX in the woods without the mowing deck installed. Sure you are about to receive info about that from others.

/ Mid PTO Protection #3  
Yup, agreed. JT.

At first, I was kinda freaked that the mid-PTO had not come with a "cover". What?

I have gotten over it. It is very hard steel. It likely is the least of my worries. Dirty? yes, damaged? not likely. To do something to damage that stub, you'd have to be doing something you probably should just accept that you shouldn't be doing with only 8-9" of ground clearance. Want a compact size, lower center of gravity, slightly more nimble BX? Gotta accept the realities, imo. So, I got over it.

BTW, the OP has the improved HST protection that Kubota is now installing, as do I, but I don't believe that it provides me a license to do reckless things.

Last edited:
   / Mid PTO Protection #4  
Have you thought about adding a skid plate like bro-tek's on it ? it should keep the midpto cleaner then without the skidplate. I think you should have skid plate more for the hst fan then the mid pto. Unfornuately there seems to be no cover offered by kubota not a third party part to cover just the midpto.

/ Mid PTO Protection #5  
I wouldn't worry about the PTO shaft. The hydraulic fluid filter is another story. I almost ripped mine open while installing the MMM [carelessly]. Now I am much more cautious when rolling the deck under the tractor. Like every BX owner, I have gotten sticks jammed up under the machine with the MMM off. Luckily no damage to the HST fan so far, but I do worry about the hydro filter after discovering its vulnerability.

/ Mid PTO Protection #6  
I wouldn't worry about the PTO shaft. The hydraulic fluid filter is another story. I almost ripped mine open while installing the MMM [carelessly]. Now I am much more cautious when rolling the deck under the tractor. Like every BX owner, I have gotten sticks jammed up under the machine with the MMM off. Luckily no damage to the HST fan so far, but I do worry about the hydro filter after discovering its vulnerability.

x2. The PTO is much less of a vulnerability than the hydro filter, fan or the tranny housing itself.

/ Mid PTO Protection #7  
Somewhere on this site I read that you measure some rubber hose and slip that over the shaft
Going to do that myself someday when I get around to it
Regard DGS

/ Mid PTO Protection #8  
before we go on any further with these posts on mid pto cover, why is there one on the rear and its made of plastic ? I think its more of a safety issue rather then protection. The rear PTO is more likely to be near our loose clothing and the mid pto is not. So with this line of thinking, and the rear pto cover is plastic is more of for preventing accidental injury. On the BX's there is a selection to use both rear and mid pto on same time, but not sure why we need both on same time other then having a blower installed while mowing.

/ Mid PTO Protection #9  
After three years my mid PTO seems unhurt. I changed the oil last week and it looks good as new. What scares me more is the post I read about tall grass wrapping around the front drive shaft. The grass wrapped around the front drive shaft and worked it's way in to the seal. This caused the seal to leak and the guy had to split the tractor to fix it. I can see this happening. I brush hog a lot of tall grass. It's the only part of my B7800's underbelly that worries me.

/ Mid PTO Protection #10  
My JD1070 has a metal cap for the mid-pto that you put on with a 1/8 twist. Have you looked to see whether the same deal is available for yours? Maybe you can adapt the JD part to your tractor.