Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
It began as a thread here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...sed-about-hydrostatic-transmission-fan-5.html

When I posted, innocently enough, a photo of my BX1860's fan protector, a number of sharp-eyed TBN poster caught the fact that this HST fan protector was new. Some posters wondered whether this was a dealer installed product. No, that wasn't the case. Others then began to naturally desire the part number in order to retro-fit their own BX. While that part number remains elusive, it has been confirmed by at least two other recent BX purchasers that this is indeed a new Kubota upgrade. The wondering is over and thus, a fresh thread. Stay tuned.

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection #3  
The wondering is over. Kubota has indeed made an upgrade.

Time for a fresh thread on this subject. Taking it here:

Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection - TractorByNet.com

Yeah, no question about it, BP, it's definitely an upgrade. Mine is identical to the pic you've posted and I bot my machine in July. Hard to believe the original BX would come with no fan protection at all, but I've seen the posts from those who have lost the fan. I was out last week pushing brush and cutting paths through my 10 acres of hardwood with no problem. I do check the fan from time-to-time but it has nary a scratch. As I said in a previous post, the skid plates look like great protection but I wonder about the air flow. Overheated hydraulic fluid breaks down much quicker than the recommended intervals would indicate and that can play havoc with pumps and seals. Some of the plates look like they would hold heat in rather than disperse it, though it's hard to tell by just looking at the pics. I'll keep you posted on my fan protection... I put it to a pretty good test since I spend most of my time in the woods.

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection #4  
I was looking at other skid plates. I was concerned with the lack of ventilation. This plate does allow a lot of air flow. Did anyone try contacting a Kubota rep for a part number. I am sure I am not the only one out there that would buy the plate. Also does it just bolt on?

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection
Jeff, if you read the thread, your questions are answered above. :D

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection #6  
I sure hope they become available to the rest of us. If they don't soon, I will go with Bro Tek and add some holes for ventilation and remove it during the summer. I also need something to protect mt steering in the woods, already have a torn a boot.

Yup!!! Part number now available.!!!! Consider this a bump. :D

Jeff H reports:

Got a response today direct from Kubota

Quote:
There was a change in the fan guard, there is a Serial Number break, the
new fan guard is slightly larger and will fit the older machines. There is
no provision to provide this for free, you can purchase it from your
dealer.

Part number for the new guard is K2681-21212

Kubota Customer Service

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection #9  
While I truly applaud Kubota for taking the feedback of customers to heart, I would still not feel totally confident in this new guard. I can clearly see your HST filter in the pic which looks very exposed still. As to the Bro-Tek skid plate, it's my opinion (and I'm sure some will disagree, and that's fine) that any issue of air blockage is infinitesimal. The BT rear skid plate is well below the fan and does not block air from moving over the top or to either side of HST. Based on where the fan is, I doubt it pushes much air down and around the bottom of the HST.

On the other hand, if I bought a new BX and this plate came with it standard, I'd probably live with it and just be careful in the woods, albeit a bit less than if I had no skid plate.

/ Kubota has upgraded HST Fan Protection #10  
While I truly applaud Kubota for taking the feedback of customers to heart, I would still not feel totally confident in this new guard. I can clearly see your HST filter in the pic which looks very exposed still. As to the Bro-Tek skid plate, it's my opinion (and I'm sure some will disagree, and that's fine) that any issue of air blockage is infinitesimal. The BT rear skid plate is well below the fan and does not block air from moving over the top or to either side of HST. Based on where the fan is, I doubt it pushes much air down and around the bottom of the HST.

On the other hand, if I bought a new BX and this plate came with it standard, I'd probably live with it and just be careful in the woods, albeit a bit less than if I had no skid plate.

1+

The new Kubota version is better than nothing but I still prefer the Bro-Tek skid plate.