Ballast Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower?

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #1  

Tablespoon

Tractor
BX2230
Hello!

I've been reading and learning from the forums for months, so I'm finally going to post.

But first, let me say THANK YOU!!! to everyone who posts solutions here, it has saved me sooooo much time and trouble as a new tractor owner (only had the BX for about 6 months).

Now to my question: I have a BX2230 with the BX2750 front blower. I also have a FEL and a Kubota ballast box for that. I'm wondering if I should leave the ballast box attached when using the blower? I'd kind of like to take it off because it would make the tractor somewhat shorter and easier to maneuver around the house. Believe it or not, but it's going to start snowing here this week or next! :D

I realize that the extra weight should improve traction, but I have tire chains for all 4 tires (we get LOTS of clear ice here). Will it affect the stability of the tractor, or overload the front axle?

Thanks again for all of the previous help posted here, and any info on this one!

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #2  
Though I have a B, and not a BX....... I found that my tractor wouldn't steer with the weight box on the back whenever the snowblower was in 'float'. I recommend removing the weight box.

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower?
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a very good point. I have a fairly steep driveway with the boat parked near the bottom, so that could be a problem. I'm not saying it's for sure, but If I hit the boat with the tractor I think it could cause the end of the world. :p

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #4  
If you don't have the rear tires loaded, have that done. It will improve the traction, stability and you will not need the ballast with the blower. Chains will help a great deal ( you have that). If you use the loader however, put the ballast back on, because the filled ties are not enough to counteract that. Happy snowblowing.

Ps: Welcome to the forum and DON'T FORGET THE PICTURES.

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #5  
I have had my BX for 7+ years with the front snowblower. After 7 seasons, I can say that there is no need for rear weights when the blower is used. Handles well and no feeling that it front heavy. Also there was reference to chains. I bought chains with the tractor and have never used them. I have bar tires and have never been stuck or in a situation where I which I had chains. Using 4WD seems to cover it all. My 1/ mile driveway is mostly flat, with a shallow grade in the middle, but it has never been any issue.

Paul

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #6  
On my BX23 I did not use have any ballast for the rear of tractor, but the tires were filled with Rim-Guard and I did have Bar Tires, Never had a problem getting stuck. Just be careful if you leave your driveway to blow snow, I make a few paths across my back lawn for my dogs to do their duty. After making the first pass, when you are backing up stay on trail and cut left or right to widen your trail You have to be careful because the BX does not have a lot of ground clearance or you'll get stuck. We do get a fair amount of snow here in up-state N.Y. You will just love the front snow-blower for clearing, It's the ticket.
DevilDog

OK, thanks. I was looking for someone that had operated one for a while since this will be my first winter. I'm gonna remove the box and stow it unless I put the FEL back on to scrape ice.

PS - devildog1, Semper Fi :D

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #8  
You will want to be VERY careful running chains on the front for a couple of reasons.

First, there is not alot of clearance to the steering knuckle.

Second, you place alot of extra load on the front axle which it is not designed to handle.

I have had three different dealers tell me not to run chains on the front, as I wanted to also.

I run turfs with chains on the rear and change out my fronts from turf to bar for the winter. No need to run front chains.

Make sure your skid shoes are properly adjusted for the surface you are snowblowing.

Thanks for the advice on the front chains. I have turf tires currently, and I'm hoping that for the most part those should be sufficient. I'm willing to buy bar tires for the winter if the turf's don't work out too well, but with chains on them I figure they should be ok.

I noticed that the clearance was pretty tight on the front and was worried about that. Anybody run chains succesfully there?

I don't expect to chain the fronts all the time, but maybe only a couple of times per winter. As you can imagine it gets pretty cold here, but the really neat trick is that because I live on the side of a mountain that is near the ocean (an inlet anyway) we get storms that come through occasionally that take us from below zero to the high 30's or low 40's, with rain! If you can imagine the cold slab below an indoor ice rink, and then pouring water over it, you get the idea of what happens to the streets and driveways. So, once in a while I'm gonna have to chain the whole thing up.

Are bar tires generally considered better for winter that the turfs? I was thinking that with more siping and surface area the turfs might work pretty good....:confused:

/ Ballast box needed for BX2230 with front snowblower? #10  
Tablespoon - Don't be afraid - You know its coming. Cold, Dark, Wet, Windy.

Attachments

• SnowMonster.jpg
    SnowMonster.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 166